Author Topic: Missing prayer desk, Carlisle  (Read 4680 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing prayer desk, Carlisle
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
You might be able to get some help or information from the Diocesan Advisory Committee, which deals with such matters -

https://www.carlislediocese.org.uk/our-diocese/diocesan-committees/diocesan-advisory-committee.html
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
I do wish you success with this.
I have tried for years to track down a Sanctuary lamp,placed in St John the Evangelist Church ,Manchester.
It was my grandmother’s memorial ,hung in the transept of what was a beautiful church in the Italianate style.
It burned throughout the years ,never going out thanks to a fund started to make sure there was always oil.It hung on  a chain and could be lowered for filling.
Red glass rather like an Aladdin’s lamp but the symbol of Sanctuary.
Sadly the church was demolished in the sixties,I was living abroad when I found out as my father in law sent us weekly the local newspaper.
I appealed to the Diocese but got no answer,kept trying but no luck.
As well as the church going all the houses were demolished too and so congregation( which would be very few)were dispersed to the new housing estates.
There seemed to be no record of the fund ,though what would be left I have no idea,but the lamp belonged to our family and was in memory of a woman much loved and respected , O.K we were few by that time and I was abroad so it was too late when I found out .none of us were regular attenders to that church as we lived a good way away.
I have a photograph of the church interior and the lamp  can be plainly seen hanging there .
Never mind ,she is often mentioned here on RootsChat ,I think of her and I am sure the few of her close descendants left do too .
Never met her but my Mum’s stories were of a wonderful woman.
But the high handed treatment of such memorials is pretty disgusting .
We don’t all live close by the churches in question but at least a central office for such things could settle people’s minds.
It could be argued once donated to the church they are no longer our possessions but we have some right to know where they go.
Well ,that is what I feel,that little lamp  that burned for almost forty years
 is either landfill or hanging in the home of one of the demolition squad.
At the church I now attend ,there are various memorials , marble panels .brass vases inscribed ,a silver shell for Christenings,etc. The actual people long gone and not personally remembered.
Sad ,but life is ever moving forward.
Sometimes I wish it would just stand still.
Viktoria

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your support and suggestions.  I'll have to try the PCC again.  Unfortunately as I live on the South Coast I can't just go and knock on the door!  I'll try emailing again now Easter is over and hope to get a response this time.  Will keep you posted.

Clive

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your support and suggestions.  I'll have to try the PCC again.  Unfortunately as I live on the South Coast I can't just go and knock on the door!  I'll try emailing again now Easter is over and hope to get a response this time.  Will keep you posted.

Clive

I suggest you email the Pcc secretary again, forwarding her your email of last year, copy it to the Vicar and ask why it wasn’t even acknowledged.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
Update on the search.  For some reason I cannot find a contact email any longer for the PCC secretary.  However I have emailed the diocese and the Vicar.  The diocese has replied that they do not keep records on behalf of individual churches and suggest contacting the Vicar.  No help but they have had the courtesy to reply and have given me a different email address for the Vicar from the one I previously had.  That has produced an auto reply to say that he is on sabbatical until August!  I guess I'll wait until August and try again.  Thanks for staying with me.

Clive

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
For some reason I cannot find a contact email any longer for the PCC secretary. 

From the church website http://www.stjohnscarlisle.plus.com/sue.html

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
Did you try the Diocesan Office, or the Diocesan Advisory Committee (see Reply #18)?

The main diocesan office probably wouldn't have much relating to that kind of thing, but the DAC's main purpose is to advise on re-orderings and church furnishings etc. Are they saying that they don't keep records?

It might also be worth checking the catalogue of wherever the diocesan archives are deposited - presumably Cumbria Archives, since any paper records from both the parish and the diocese should find their way there eventually. What you need is anything relating to the faculty (church equivalent of planning permission) for the work carried out in 2010, and there could be material in both the parish and DAC collections. Where it is intended to dispose of furnishings, I think the faculty would specify what was to be done with them.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 17:17 BST (UK) »
There is extensive detail about the re-ordering of the church here http://www.stjohnscarlisle.plus.com/projectdiary.html including details of various items available for purchase. There is a name for someone who was dealing with selling items, so you could try emailing him.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 18:11 BST (UK) »
I rather think it unlikely you will be able to trace the now whereabouts of the prayer desk BUT even if there is still someone on the PCC who knows who bought it (or acquired it) they would not be permitted to give you the details - unless, of course, it went to another Church.