Author Topic: confusion reigns supreme!  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
confusion reigns supreme!
« on: Wednesday 07 June 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hoping for some assistance to determine if there is a problem and if so to help sort.

The possible arises as I have been trying to locate William in the 1851 Census and thought I had located him BUT he records his birthplace as Battle. 

I am now worried I have the correct William and also if I am correct with his siblings.  I though to place my challenge on the forum and hope for some assistance. 

William is a son of George Carrick & Mary Carter.  George and Mary married St Bartholomew Burwash 23 Sep 1793.  George was a Butcher and it seems he was rather mobile.

The first child I can locate for the couple is the William Carrick bap  02 Feb 1794 St Bartholomew Burwash mentioned above. William married 15 Apr 1816 Battle to Philadelphia Philmer.

Next child is Mary born 25 Jul 1795 Speldhurst,  Kent.  Mary married Henry Wallis in Rotherfield in 1815.

Then George born 16 Oct 1796 Speldhurst.
Jane born 22 Jul 1798  Speldhurst
Hannah bap 04 May 1800 Dallington, Sussex
Richard bap 02 Mar 1802 Dallington

In the 1841 census William now a widower is at Flimwell, Ticehurst and a servant living with 7 of his children.  [ HO107/1109/Book: 7/28 p 10 Ticehurst Sussex]. The details are correct as far as they go.

The 1851 Census I located [and which raised a question for me] (HO107/1639/87 p 6) is where George is married again and living with his second wife Mary and his son Edwin.  Edwin was a baby when William's first wife died and was listed in the 1841 census.

The conundrum for me is that this William says he was born in Battle. 

Thoughts on firstly the baptisms and births of George & Mary Carrick's children then secondly is this the correct William?

Westy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: confusion reigns supreme!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
Many people didn't really know exactly where they were born, and probably remember places from their earlier memories.

As such, William probably remembers Battle as the place of his growing up.

What does the 1841 census say regarding place of birth? Born in County, or Out of County?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Born in  county.

Westy

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
People may not be baptised in the same place that they are born. Where was William's mother from? She may have gone to stay with her mother (William's grandmother) for the confinement, then had the baby baptised where she returned to her husband.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzie,

I do understand that and I had wondered about it.  William's mother Mary Carter was born and baptised in Burwash.

Mary's mother Hannah Brook was also baptised in Burwash .

Westy

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
Freereg has a marriage for a George Carrick of Dallington and a Mary Wood of Burwash at Burwash on 22aug 1768. Could these be your George's parents? George and Mary (nee Carter) could have moved to be near his parents and that was where later children were baptised.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzie,

The George Carrick Im researching was from Catsfield and this was mentioned in the marriage index which gives me a high level of confidence that I have the right couple.

Given your experience what are your thoughts on the 1851 census for William? 

I know for sure his first wife  Philadelphia Philmer was deceased in 1839, William listed as widower in the 1841 census held in March 1841,  and William had married secondly in Sept 1841.  Its possible the William Carrick and his second wife Mary and his son Edwin from his first marriage are the people in the 1851 census.

Whats the general consensus?

Wesy

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think it's the same William in 1841 and 1851. Edwin turns up in 1861 with his brother George and family in Tunbridge Wells. A Henry carrick also b Ticehurst is a couple of doors away, so it fits with another brother. So it links the Edwin in 1851 to the two older brothers in the household with him and father / stepmother in 1841.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Originally I was worried and now I'm just a little unsure.... so that's a big improvement. ;D

Circumstantial evidence leads me to tend to think this is the correct William and for some reason Battle has gone down as his birth place.

As yet I haven't located him in the 1861 census although I notice some trees have him in Kent in 1861 but I don't think that's him as the birth location is off track.

Westy