Author Topic: Alfred George MANTHEL  (Read 1461 times)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred George MANTHEL
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 September 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
Mandel was his mother's name .

Offline RickoHan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 September 21 21:55 BST (UK) »
Mandel was his mother's name .

Thanks so much for trying to fill in the dots on this one (it’s a tough nut to crack). George’s Mandel ditched his Rothschild name, as it was too bourgeois for his modest position as a journalist with a left leaning newspaper. Being identifiably from a rich Jewish banking family in those times came with considerable risks and class / political stigma. So… I could imagine that if your name was Rotschildand you we’re coming to the convict ridden Anglosaxon colonies, a name change would be wise.   I’ve included A broad phonetic search on the Surname including all known variants on the German “Mantel” , including Mandel Mantello, Maundel, etc etc. But to date we are still searching. Naturalization papers in NZ don’t throw up any clues either. I figure he had two sets of papers, as there are no entry or exit records for him that we can find in NZ or Australia, for years we know he journeyed between the two counties.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 September 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

You mentioned DNA. Any French matches ? Are you on MyHeritage ?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 08:40 BST (UK) »
Mind you, Louis George Rothschild ( aka George Mandel ,Henriette aka Hermine Mandel's son) was not Alfred George MANTHEL. And until now there is no evidence that his real name was Rothschild , or that he was a relative of the Rothschilds. The connection between Alfred George and the Rothschild comes from a family legend saying that his sister Pauline married a Rothschild and went to America.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
Regarding dna
If any of the family tested with ancestry
You can put a name search into the shared matches options for each spelling have that name on their tree

I expect Mantell and Rothschild are quite common names .. I have matches with those surnames on Jewish branches

But Manthel is less common ...spellings for individuals may alter as they travelled through different countries and they may also have a Hebrew name
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson