Author Topic: Finding family of RACHEL HALLALEY/HALLILEY  (Read 1759 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Finding family of RACHEL HALLALEY/HALLILEY
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I would really appreciate some help researching Rachel Hallaley/Halliley. I know very little about her, only that she married John Bullosse (1715-1799) on 20 Jul 1743 at Wath Upon Dearne. With John, she had the following children (I believe), all baptised at Wentworth:
- John (1745-1815)
- Thomas (b.1746)
- William (1751-1839)
- Anne (b.1754)
- Joseph (b.1756)
- Richard (1758-1773)
- Sarah (b.1763)
- James (1765-1772)
- Elizabeth (b.1768)

And then there's two other possible children that I haven't found baptism records for:
- Rachel, buried 12 Nov 1771 at Wentworth, said to be the daughter of John Bulloss
- Samuel, said to be the son of John (a butcher) and Rachel Bulloss, according to Samuel's son John's baptism in 1777 at Wentworth.

I think Rachel's husband John Bulloss(e) (sometimes spelled Bullhouse) was a butcher, turned farmer. What would really help me trace Rachel's parents and siblings would be to find her burial record - I found one that looked promising at Wentworth:
- Rachel Bullosse, from Thorpe Hesley (where most of the children were born, but they were baptized up the hill at Wentworth), wife of John (a butcher), buried at Wentworth 08/10/1785, died of jaundice. Despite this, the age given is 44 years, which is much too young for my Rachel (44 yrs old would give a birth date of 1741, which is only 2 years before the marriage to John Bullosse).

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Holly

P.S. The name Halliley/Hallaley is an unusual one, on the Genuki website the name is sometimes transcribed as Halliday. I've found no trace of Halliley's/Halliday's at Wath Upon Dearne, and only two burials featuring the name at Wentworth - John Hallilay/Halliday aged 82 years from Cortwood, buried 14/07/1779, a labourer. And Jane Hallilay/Halliday aged 73 years from Cortwood, wife of John (2nd wife), buried 23/06/1778.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Finding family of RACHEL HALLALEY/HALLILEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
Just to add:

Just in case this may help with tracing occurrences of the name, there appear to be HELLELEY's at Felkirk near Barnsley, as well as HELLEWELL's at Penistone.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline GaryMorton320

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly, a Google search brought up your question.
Rachael is my 6th GGM. I seem to have her surname as HOLYDAY.
I noted the age at death discrpancy and made the following note ("Age cannot be correct but is the same as the entry above which is suspicious"). I have a picture of the parish record. I can send it if you want. I have recorded her death 6-Oct-1985.
But there is some information from an inscription in the graveyard at Wentworth. I have visited the church yard but didn't see this myself. This is from a CD "wife of John BULLOSS who departed this life the 6th day of October 1783 aged 60 years. also John BULLOSS her husband who died November 10 1799 aged 81. also Richard BULLOSS son of the above who died November 11 1799aged 40 years". For some reason her name is missing from this page, but it clearly is her. But the date of 1783 doesn't tie up, so perhaps it was difficult to read?

regards...

--Gary

BTW I saw your other question too. I thought I had accounted for all the Bulloss'es, but I see that it is not clear which John is correct.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,
Thank you for your reply - I've messaged you on here about the parish record and Rachel.

Holly