Author Topic: Another coastguard query  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another coastguard query
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
   I have just found the naval service record of a distant relative, from joining in 1842 until 1869, though his service years only seem to be counted from when he was 20. The last 12 years were with the coastguard. Is there any way of finding out where he served as coastguard? I have never found him in any census after 1841.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another coastguard query
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
As KGarrad recommends:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/P-R

At that time (Navy List 1835) service for pension was only counted from age 20 so the entry also gives you his date of birth if you didn't know it.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
If your man is John Pay his first posting was to Craster CGS (ADM 175/7 pdf 580)

I should also add that he was awarded the Baltic Medal for his service on HMS Cumberland during the Crimean War.

Martin

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
   Thank you all for the input. When I first looked at the genuki list, I was a bit doubtful as his birthplace is given as Sandwich. (Yes it is John Pay) But through the census shown, I was able to find his marriage, and it is the right man. As he was in Northumberland, and his wife came from Sandwich, it was probably the easiest thing to say. I have still to find out what happened after 1861.

That is really interesting about his Crimean medal. Oddly, his younger brother spent a couple of years on the Cumberland, while she was based at Sheerness, 1861-63, then about 7 years on coastguard duty off the Humber. (his naval service was not very exciting!)

Which brings me back to coastguards. Younger brother, William, was posted to specific ships, which were on coastguard duty for 2 or 3 years at a time, as I understand it, but John's record just says "coastguard, 1857 to 69", so was he still aboard R.N. ships? Having written that, I have remembered that the family were living in coastguard cottages in 1861, so presumably not?

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Wife Sarah Ann says she is a widow in 1871, living in Ringwould (nr Deal Kent) with three children born after 1861.  Richard in Craster in 1863/4 (according to the census) and the other two in Ringwould 1865 and 1867.  Older child Sarah Ann is at a boarding school in Wandsworth and Jane Ann not sure.  A death in Dover district for John in 1870 at age 45 would seem likely.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
John's time in the CG would have been spent working at land based CG Stations.

Another avenue you might care to explore are the Merchant Seaman's Tickets on Find My Past. Despite the title many men in the RN and CG service were issued with these tickets, which usually contain a physical description, as well as a brief career history and details of residency.

Martin 

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
  That's great -it all fits together. Jane Ann died a few months before her father (she is on the same page of the burial register.) Sarah Ann was in the same "Patriotic Asylum" in Wandsworth as her second cousin, Sarah Jane Sneller, also the orphaned daughter of a coastguard! This man has been really elusive, and I have obviously looked at these entries before in my search, but not known who they were.
   Internet now on a go-slow, so I will return to the Merchant Navy later.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
   Not much luck with the Merchant Navy records. One probable entry in BT116, but no details, only in the first column, "voyage out, 1853" the initials(?) E D, and in "voyage home 1856" the word "Marcia".

There is a rather fuller entry for a John Pay I suspect is a cousin, in BT114, with a ticket number 317762. I hope all this means more to others than it does to me!

This may be as far as I can go with this, but thank you for helping me with this brick wall. I can now give him more than a few lines in the family history.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire