Author Topic: Rossers of Ystradfeltte - help needed for with a bunch of blacksmiths  (Read 1772 times)

Offline brisvegas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello RootsChat community,
I am hoping for some help with a bunch of Rossers originally from Ystradfellte, Brecon. Their dad Jenkin married Ann Llewyllyn in Cadoxton Juxta Neath (her parish) in 1810, but all the children note their birth place in the various censuses as Ystradfellte. The kids are Llewellyn c1811, William c1816, John c1817, Rosser c1821 & David c1827, clearly plenty of room for many more kids! My direct line is through the son John, a blacksmith (4xggrandfather), who helped in the building of the Paris to Rouen railway with 2 offspring born in France: Jenkin and John, Jenkin being my 3 x gg.
I have no confirmed birth records of the Ystradfellte children or of Jenkin. I am of the suspicion that Ann Llewellyn is the sister of William Llewellyn of the Cilfrew Tinworks, but alas how to prove! I live in Australia so a trip to Powys records office is a little beyond reach, any help with the Brecon link would be greatly appreciated,
Michaela

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Rossers of Ystradfeltte - help needed for with a bunch of blacksmiths
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Michaela
I cant see any baptisms for Ystradfellte, but the following burials are listed which may help?
Richard Rosser of '???goed' (think it may read Trosgoed) buried 1821 aged 72
Margaret Rosser of (same place as above) buried 1823 aged 76
Mary Rosser of (same place as above) buried April 25th 1823 aged 1 week
Trosgoed ??? has other people named in burial records as from here, old maps have Cefn Troscoed and Pentre Troscoed nearish to Pont Nedd Fechan (which is with the area of Cadoxton-Juxta-Neath).
So possibility that a baptism for Jenkin could be in Cadoxton-Juxta-Neath, if Rosser family living in the part of Ystradfellte parish which is nearer to this parish boundary?
Mar :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
in case this helps anyone

1841 census Cwmgwrach, Blaengwrach HO107/1421/15 folio 6 pg 7
Jinkin Rosser 55 ag lab
Ann 50
Llewelyn 30 miner
David 14 miner
//
John Rosser 20 smith
Elizabeth 20
only Ann & Elizabeth born in county

marriage 7 July 1839 in the parish of Glyncorrwg John Rosser 19 bach smith, abode Cwmgwrach, father Jenkin, a farmer and Elizabeth Anthony full age spinster Cwmgwrach, father John, smith.
John signed, Elizabeth made her mark, witnesses Samuel Jenkings and Llewellyn Rosser both signed.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline brisvegas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Osprey and Mar for taking the time to look, it is greatly appreciated. I am fairly confident that the family in the 1841 census are my relies. I have a marriage for Jenkin and Ann at Cadoxton (her parish), his is given as Ystradfellte and the dates line up. On the 1851 census they are in Resolven with couple of lodgers.
So far I have drawn a blank with a baptism in Cadoxton for Jenkin, but the burials certainly give me something to follow up on, I think I may well have mapped all of the Rossers in South Wales by the time I have finished  :)
Thank you both once again
Michaela

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
There is a 1786 baptism at Cadoxton for Jenkin Rosser,son of Jenkin Rosser.

Regards,
Roger

Offline HRuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 June 20 06:30 BST (UK) »
I know it is 2020 , but I have been looking into Ann Llewellyn who was married to Jenkin Rosser. It is the Llewellyn family that is my interest, I have now discovered [I think] who Ann Rosser , one of the people to benefit from William Llewellyn's will, William Llewellyn, owner of the Aberdulais Tin plate company. She was no doubt his sister.