Author Topic: Invisible Marriages  (Read 712 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Invisible Marriages
« on: Friday 09 June 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
I need to borrow another set of eyes (I promise I'll return them afterwards!)

I've been looking to strengthen an area of my tree after getting a DNA match in that branch. I was looking for sibling marriages to see the witnesses. I think I found what I was after, but there are a few marriages that are eluding me and I don't like the loose ends!

Of course it is possible that marriages didn't take place but if someone else can have a go then at least I know it's not just me!

The surname is NORTHCOTT (also NORCOTT/NORTHCOTE etc)

I've got outstanding:
~ George NORTHCOTT 1814-17 on census, born Virginstow/Broadwoodwidger/Lifton area, married a Mary (surname unknown, no children found) born Warrington. Marriage presumably some time between 1841 and 1851.
I'm not sure if this is my George or not, especially as there is a later son also called George, but finding the marriage would be a start to proving that either way. There is a tree who claims him but from looking at it I think she's smooshed two families together.
~ Richard NORTHCOTT 1833 (Virginstow etc) married Jane (nee COAKER from children), first child born 1858 Morice Town.

At the moment I don't have any suspicions about the later George. I've found him on the 1841 census but nothing else. One brother apparently ended up in Aus so I wonder if a few of them went with him.

Thanks
Ayashi

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello
There's a George Northcott at Lifton calling banns for a wedding to Mary Lane of Werrington in 21.4.1844 ,unfortunately there wedding itself doesn't seem to be there.It was at Launceston Cornwall.
He was the son of John labourer and she Noel a tailor.
There is also a burial for a George Northcott at Lifton 18.2.1825 age 9 of Lifton village.
And a Baptism to William and Grace Northcott 15.7.1816 labourer in husbandry at Lifton from Heal.

Sorry but I can't see Richards
Ciderdrinker

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
A George Northcott married a Mary Sercombe St Thomas civil registration district June Q 1842
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
The 1844 marriage of George Northcott and Mary Lane is on the Cornwall opc site:

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/marriages/

The marriage took place at Werrington.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. I've been using Cornwall OPC, wonder how I missed it!

I was aware of the christening for the other George (son of William) and the burial, but the burial seems to fit more with that George than mine, which adds to the confusion. My George was christened in 1814, son of Richard (I have that). George 2 was born c. 1835 (with no known female children old enough to be his mother, aside from my ancestor who was already married).

I guess it is possible that Richard wasn't actually married to her. It does happen...