Author Topic: Susan Dalling & William Bale  (Read 6593 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Dalling & William Bale
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:22 GMT (UK) »
No, no BALE in my tree. ;D

You mentioned: BALE Ellen inft Bussorah Merchant 1853 Sydney and/or Newcastle   and family. Born on voyage (bv)

Note she was born on ship, so not connected to those mentioned by Debra.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mickwebb1971

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D
I thought that the 'Ellen BALE' that was born on the ship was Charles mother, but alas I m pretty certain it isnt. The information Debra has shared could very well be the one I am looking for.

Another story in the Cumberland Mercury about Henry
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/248611162?searchTerm=bale%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||requestHandler|||dateFrom=1876-01-01|||dateTo=1876-12-31|||l-advtitle=1368|||sortby

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Poor family had its issues, if we have the correct connections. :(

Regarding the link you put up for Trove, to get a neater link: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article248611162

You go to top, left corner and click on the little ‘i’. Then copy the ‘article identifier’.

I like to say what column the information is in, as I have been unable to find some things folk post. The location doesn’t always show on my iPad.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:41 GMT (UK) »
We’re no closer to finding Ellen, are we?

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:45 GMT (UK) »
It just gets worse for them, 4th column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article111144138

Jamjar

Offline mickwebb1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:47 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)
Thanks for the tip. Didnt know how to paste the 'short' link   :)

Not any closer but hopefully on the right trail now. Have let this branch of my family go idle for some time and just thought I would dust off the folder and refresh my memory

Offline mickwebb1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 November 18 06:53 GMT (UK) »
 :o
Oh No.. She would have been 17 years old. I now wonder if Charles is the result of another rape shortly after or did that event send her to the streets?

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Just received notification about this thread and thought I could fill in a bit about William Dalling BALE (1822-1893) and his wife Ellen Martha MOUNTIER (1825-1915). They married in Brixton, Surrey in 1846 had one son William Mountier Bale who died in infancy and gave the same names to their second son - so William Mountier Bale (1851-1940). William and Ellen came to NSW on the Bussorah Merchant, Ellen Bale was born on the voyage 17 January 1853, also travelling with the Bale family was Mary Jane Bale (1832-1873) a half-sister to William. Mary Jane married Samuel Fox in 1853 (Ellen Martha Bale of New Town NSW was a witness) and in 1854 their daughter Emma Fox was born. By 4 Jan 1854  William and Ellen and children were living at St Kilda Victoria and the baby born the previous year on the Bussorah Merchant was registered as Emma Oceane Bale (1853-1931). Ellen Martha Bale's brother Frederick MOUNTIER and his wife Harriet arrived in Port Phillip in 1853 and lived in St Kilda. Over the years William Dalling Bale gave his occupation as carpenter, joiner and Inspector of Works. The fifth child in the family of William and Ellen BALE was Ellen Rebecca BALE (1857-1940) and she married Thomas William DALLY in 1879. They had five children and moved to Warracknabeal in north west Victoria in 1894.

William Dalling BALE had a half brother Charles born about 1843 in Barnstaple Devon who married Mary Isaac about 1866 - 2 children born about 1870 but I have not traced this family any further.

Hope that makes sense - I just thought it would help rule out some of the names you have found. I have certificates for most of these events, except for Charles.
Phillips in South Barrow, Somerset, Greenwood in Lambeth
Mitchell in Londonderry, McFarland in Drumneechy
Bale in Barnstaple, Devon and Richmond, Melbourne

Offline Th-Morrissey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 06:46 BST (UK) »
 :) Descendant of the Bale family here, hailing from Emma Oceane Bale.