Author Topic: Who was Bertram Mitford's wife?  (Read 5074 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Who was Bertram Mitford's wife?
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census, there is a household at White Lodge, Seaton, Devon including Elizabeth Florence Mitford, 80, widow; Bertram Vernon Mitford, son, 39; Beatrice Agnes Mitford, daughter-in-law, 30; Florence Allardice, visitor, 31. Both Beatrice and Florence were born at Mylemoney, Kadar, India.

What I would like to know is whether Beatrice and Florence were sisters.

I have a lot of information about Florence's family. Her father, William Alexander Allardice (1840-1897), was a coffee planter at Mylemoney, which is in southern India near Bangalore or Mysore. Her mother was Helen Guthrie (1844-1928), my 4th cousin 4 times removed. They had 13 children, but so far I have found only 10 of them including Florence. I have marriage and/or death information for all of these except one child who probably died in infancy.

According to the death indexes Beatrice Agnes Mitford was born on 15 October 1880, which is only 11 months after Florence's birth on 12 November 1879. This does seem to be rather soon, but I suppose it's not impossible.

However I have, so far, completely failed to find the marriage of Bertram Vernon Mitford to Beatrice Agnes to find out whether or not she was one of the three missing Allardice children.

Any ideas?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Bertram Mitford's wife?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
A Bertram Vernon Mitford, s/o Charles Venables Mitford, gentleman,  married Beatrice Agnes Allardice, d/o William Alexander Allardice, coffee planter, 20 Dec 1900 in St Helier Jersey, Beatrice born in India.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thank you, jomcd967. That fits perfectly because William Alexander died in Jersey.

Where does one find Jersey BMDs?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 June 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
I really don't know about Jersey records, the marriage just popped up on Ancestry, but if you'd like to tell me who/what you're looking for I'll happily have a look.

Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
I really don't know about Jersey records, the marriage just popped up on Ancestry, but if you'd like to tell me who/what you're looking for I'll happily have a look.

It was more a general query rather than a specific, since you had kindly turned up Beatrice Agnes for me. I can access Ancestry in various libraries.

I would be interested in anything more on this Allardice Family. I know that William Alexander died in Jersey on 12 November 1897, but not exactly where, and I have at least two, possibly three, of his children still to find. (I have read that there were 13 children, of whom 4 were sons; so far I have found 5 sons and 6 daughters). I have his birth and that of his wife Helen Guthrie, and I know that Helen died in Kent in 1928.

As for the known children

Helen Maria married William Hamilton Ritchie in India in 1896. They had one daughter, who married but had no children as far as I know. William died in 1901, and in 1902 Helen Maria married Everard Milman Playfair. They are said to have had one daughter but I have not found anything about her.

Mary Isabella married Adam Brack Boyd in India in 1888. I think he must be the one who remarried in 1913, describing himself as a widower, but I have failed to find a death of Mary Isabella (unless Adam was lying!). I don't think there were any children - or if there were I have failed to find them.

William Patrick died in India in 1910, unmarried.

David Onslow died in South Africa in 1960. He married in South Africa in 1905 and had one son.

Alexandrina Colquhoun married John Roland Errington in India in 1893

Laura Winifred married Dugald Alexander MacMillan in India in 1896. I have plenty information about her descendants.

Duncan Alexander, born 1878, probably died in infancy, but I have not found any information about that.

Beatrice Agnes married Bertram Vernon Mitford in Jersey in 1900, as you have kindly told me.

Florence married Ernest Bolden in London in 1919. I think he died in 1952 and she in 1965. I have not found any children.

Harry was killed in France in 1916. I have read that he was married, but have not found any evidence of a marriage.

Colin McDermid was killed in Flanders in 1915. I have no information to suggest that he was married.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 June 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
Williams probate is also on Ancestry, William Alexander Allardice of Mylemony Chickmugamore Mysore territory India, Coffe planter died 12 November 1897 at 1 Norfolk Terrace Rouge Buillon Jersey.

Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 June 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 June 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, here is a photograph of Norfolk Terrace
https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/File:NorfolkTerraceRougeB.jpg

It was a very desirable, affluent area according to this website
https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Rouge_Bouillon

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jool. That looks like a very suitable place for a retired Indian coffee planter to live.

He must still have been in India in 1896, when two of his daughters got married there, so he must have come to Jersey not long before he died the following year. His widow was still in St Helier in 1911, but she died in England.