Author Topic: Who was Bertram Mitford's wife?  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Bertram Mitford's wife?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 January 19 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Neville, very interesting.

I've only been researching the family of William Alexander Allardice, because it's his wife Helen Guthrie who is my connection to your family, so I have not looked in detail at earlier generations and I don't have immediate answers to your other questions.

However Francis Molison Allardice, son of John Allardice, coffee planter, and Caroline Ann, was born on 19 June 1862 and baptised on 13 September 1862 at Chudderghaut, Hurryhur, Madras. I have not found another child of this couple.

Do the gravestones contain any more information, for example the date of John's death?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sandstones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 January 19 10:06 GMT (UK) »
John Allardice died in 1862. I guess from malaria or tropical diseases

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 January 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
John Allardice died in 1862. I guess from malaria or tropical diseases
Probably. Pity it hadn't given an exact date - if he had died between the birth and baptism of Francis Molison Allardice it would have been stronger evidence that it was the same John Allardice.

I can't find a marriage of John Allardice to Caroline, or another child.

I think Francis Mol(l)ison was the great-great-grandfather of John Allardice (1824-1862) but you will know from other correspondence that there are some inconsistencies in the evidence. Also that what I would really, really like to find is a link between the Mol(l)lisons in Brechin and the ones in Craigendowie in Lethnot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 January 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at Cannon/Lowe connections.

Margaret Ouchterlony Lowe (1780-1850) married the Reverend David Cannan (1774-1854) in Brechin in 1804. He was minister of Kirriemuir, then Murroes, then Mains and Strathmartine. There were 11 children including Thomas, born 1817.

Thomas was a planter in Mysore. He made a will in 1859, leaving legacies to his cousins, Helen Jane, William Alexander and George James Campbell, three of the five children of William Patrick Allardice, whom he appointed an Executor along with William Campbell Onslow, whose son Harrington later married Helen Jane Allardice.

He also left legacies to David and Margaret Forgan, 'commonly known as Cannan', the children of his late sister Helen Cannan (1812/3- 1845) from her marriage to James Forgan (1806/11- 1852), and to the children of his brother Alexander Cannan, Captain in the Madras Army.

James Forgan appears to have blotted his copybook. He was tried at the spring circuit in Perth (that's the original Perth, not its namesake Perth, Western Australia) on 26 April 1852 on charges of theft, habit and repute, and previous conviction. He died in Dundee Prison about three weeks later and was buried in the Howff, Dundee on 22 May 1852. There are court papers in the National Records of Scotland but I have not seen these.

So yes, Margaret Ouchterlony Lowe was the sister of Catherine Lowe. Their parents were Joseph Low(e) and Margaret Young.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know why he left nothing to his cousin John McDermid Allardice, brother of the three cousins to whom he did leave legacies? And why he passed over all the rest of his 10 siblings and their families?

Offline zackshome

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 June 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
I had a look at Cannon/Lowe connections.

Margaret Ouchterlony Lowe (1780-1850) married the Reverend David Cannan (1774-1854) in Brechin in 1804. He was minister of Kirriemuir, then Murroes, then Mains and Strathmartine. There were 11 children including Thomas, born 1817.

Thomas was a planter in Mysore. He made a will in 1859, leaving legacies to his cousins, Helen Jane, William Alexander and George James Campbell, three of the five children of William Patrick Allardice, whom he appointed an Executor along with William Campbell Onslow, whose son Harrington later married Helen Jane Allardice.

He also left legacies to David and Margaret Forgan, 'commonly known as Cannan', the children of his late sister Helen Cannan (1812/3- 1845) from her marriage to James Forgan (1806/11- 1852), and to the children of his brother Alexander Cannan, Captain in the Madras Army.

James Forgan appears to have blotted his copybook. He was tried at the spring circuit in Perth (that's the original Perth, not its namesake Perth, Western Australia) on 26 April 1852 on charges of theft, habit and repute, and previous conviction. He died in Dundee Prison about three weeks later and was buried in the Howff, Dundee on 22 May 1852. There are court papers in the National Records of Scotland but I have not seen these.

So yes, Margaret Ouchterlony Lowe was the sister of Catherine Lowe. Their parents were Joseph Low(e) and Margaret Young.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know why he left nothing to his cousin John McDermid Allardice, brother of the three cousins to whom he did leave legacies? And why he passed over all the rest of his 10 siblings and their families?

Hi Forfarian,

I too find it very interesting that John McDermid Allardice was not included in Thomas' will, considering two (?) of his brothers and one sister were named. William Patrick Allardice had another daughter Maria, and two more sons (both from a second marriage - Hugh Gourlay and Achibald Allardice), who both would have also been born when Thomas wrote his will in 1859, though very young.

Do you know where I can access Thomas Cannon's will? I am interested in both William Patrick Allardice's family and Thomas' brother Alexander Cannon's family.

I understand that Alexander Cannon's children - Alexander Allardice, Margaret and Frances are listed as defendents in the description for the courtcase 'Onslow vs Allardice' which disputes Thomas's will as far as I know? But I would really like to know why Mary, Alexander's fourth child, was not included here.

If you had any information I would really appreciate it.

Offline Robert Cannon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 November 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am interested in the Lowe family, but cannot find the birth or relationship details cited here.

Lady Clifford (Emmeline Marjory Lowe) daughter of Robert Atwell Lowe, a Judge of the ICS, and Charlotte ??? is cited by debretts as being the great niece of The Commander in Chief, Viscount Lake. I believe Robert Atwell Lowe was a descendant of Joseph Lowe and Marjory Young given his daughter attended the funeral of Emma Ronald, the wife of Gen. Robert Cannan / Cannon (son of Joseph and Marjory). So your assistance in obtaining the Low/Lowe details, or any other insights, would be kind.

There seems to be virtually no references to Margaret Oochterlony Lowe and few to Robert Atwell Lowe. But I presume given Margaret's middle name of 'Ochterlony', the profession of a few of her sons in the HEIC (although a number entered the cloth), and the alleged connection to Gerard Lake, 1st Viscount to Robert Atwell Lowe (or his wife Charlotte) points to a strong connection with India.

Many Thanks,

Mark

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 September 22 12:21 BST (UK) »
My apologies, zackshome and Robert Cannon. For some reason I didn't get notifications of your posts, or I would have responded a lot sooner.

I can't recall where I saw the contents of Thomas Cannon's will but it is available through https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills. The attached screenshot is from the Calendar of Probate.

I am interested in the Lowe family, but cannot find the birth or relationship details cited here.
Have you been looking in Ancestry? If so, don't.

It is all on Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

For background, see also https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Some additional information about David Cannan at https://www.ecclegen.com/general-index-c/#Campbell,%20William%20James