Author Topic: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Shotley or Whittonstall??  (Read 791 times)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Hi

I wonder if anyone has access to Northumberland parish records.. I have a Joseph Soppett/Soppitt born about 1750. I have his marriage in 1776 in Ebchester (Durham) to a Barbara Crook but I cannot find his baptism. On his marriage Joseph says he is from Shotley...and some of his children are baptised here and also in the Baptist Chapel in Hamsterly.

Joseph and Barbara Soppitt are buried in 1834 in Whittonstall, and a son Edward lived in Newlands Grange till 1863.

There is a Will of a William Soppit in 1822 of Shotley Grove who mentions siblings Joseph, Matthew and Priscilla. Matthew married Jane Egglestone in 1779 in Shotley his daughters Mary and Elizabeth were bapt in 1781 in Whittonstall. Finally Priscilla married John Cawthorn in 1788 in Shotley. I am wondering if his brother Joseph is my Joseph...(this was info the lovely people on the Durham Look up page found for me)

Many Thanks, Vicky
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Shotley or Whittonstall??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Just linking to your thread on the Durham Board, as there is quite a lot of information there  :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=772902.msg6259390#msg6259390

On his marriage Joseph says he is from Shotley...

As trish pointed out on your other thread this doesn't mean he was born there. It simply meant that he was resident there at the time of the marriage.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soppett/Soppitt Baptism c1750 possibly Shotley or Whittonstall??
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks JenB, I didn't realise that could be linked like that.... V
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch