Author Topic: JACKSON - Westmead Farm (Newtown Road / Monks Lane) NEWBURY  (Read 3529 times)

Offline robin40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JACKSON - Westmead Farm (Newtown Road / Monks Lane) NEWBURY
« on: Wednesday 14 June 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about my grandfather - John Jackson. If possible, enough information to locate a birth certificate.

He lived at Westmead Farm until the late 1950's. Possibly 1955 or 1956, when the farm was sold and subsequently sub-divided for housing.

The 1939 Census shows John Jackson at Westmead Farm, Monks Lane.  But the 1932 – 1938 OS maps appears to show a farm access from Newtown Road, so it could be either Monks Lane or Newtown Road.

I'm having trouble finding his birth certificate, because we don't know where he was born (and his father was also John Jackson, a common name!).  We believe neither had middle names. He appears to have been born in ~1882 (possibly September)

I would like to find out when he came to own Westmead Farm ... did he inherit it, or purchase it?

Thanks

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JACKSON - Westmead Farm (Newtown Road / Monks Lane) NEWBURY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
when and where did he die??

Who did he marry? Age at marriage?
father's occupation?
Witnesses?

May help to find his birth reg

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robin40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
I've a little more information:

1939 Census shows John Jackson at Westmead Farm, Monks Lane (as Poultry Farmer). This shows his date of birth as 27 Sept 1882.

Married on 29th September 1941 (aged 58) to Amy Elizabeth Minshull at the Newbury Register Office. Noted his father’s name was also John Jackson (deceased, no occupation). Witnesses were Amy Minshull's parents - Joseph and Elizabeth Minshull.

John Jackson (Jnr) was a widower when he (re)married, and occupation was Poultry Farmer. I've no details of the previous marriage.

Died 27th November 1956 in Reading.

Thanks for the help

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Guess you already have his probate record
John Jackson 103 Cumberland Rd Reading died 27 Nov 1956 Probate Oxford 14 Feb to Charles Minshill maintenance painter & decorater & Albert John Fry coal merchant's manager Effects £2091 1s 3d

I forgot to ask do you have the names of any children of Johns before he married Amy Elizabeth?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robin40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks - no I hadn't seen any probate information.  Thats interesting, because Amy Elizabeth had a younger brother Charles.  I've found the record on Ancestry, thanks.

Sorry no ... no information about children with his earlier wife.

I can't find a record of a John Jackson (Snr) in the Berkshire Probate records between 1882 (John Jackson Jnr born) and 1941 (noted to be deceased in John Jackson Jnr's marriage certificate.)

So John Jackson Jnr must have moved to Berkshire and bought the farm.  Any idea how to find a Land Title index to check the deeds?

Thanks again, Robin

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
There is no central registry for title deeds - the Berkshire Record Office has some, but only a fraction of those that must have existed at one time.  Old deeds are no longer needed to prove title once that title has been registered at the Land Registry - so many deeds have been destroyed.

Other holders of deeds are solicitors, though there have been some big clearouts over the years!

One place that might be worth checking would be the archives at St George's Chapel, Windsor - the chapel owned all that part of Newbury for a few hundred years (your chap may even have been their tenant).
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline robin40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks - will check that lead. It's a good idea.

Putting the deeds aside, would it be possible to check the Land Registry register for details of when the property changed hands? If so, how would I go about finding the title number?

I'm also considering checking voting records for the property to see who was living there in the years prior to 1939 to see if I can see when it changed hands ... That would at least fill in some of the picture, but still no idea how to find his place of birth.

I'm struggling to find this address (West Mead Farm), or John Jacksons in this area the 1911 Census ... although that might be my error with the search engines.

Any more help appreciated! Thanks

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
The Land Registry was started in 1862 but its use was voluntary - so most didn't bother. IIRC it didn't really take of until the 1960s when registration was made compulsory when proporty changed hands - it has yet to cover all proporties.  You can search the registry for a fee. 
http://www.land-registry-deeds.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjw4IjKBRDr6p752cCUm3kSJAC-eqRtU5g63aseFZN3LHxdyHFSqxlhwb2E-eJ3qBjLK08tLxoCnUXw_wcB
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline robin40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
OK thanks ... property records will probably be another dead end then.

My sister has found an old family tree sketch which shows some more information:

John Jackson (Jnr) - my Grandad - MAY have had Kate, Will and Ernest as siblings. And his parents were very probably John and Emma.  No ages or dates, unfortunately.

I've tried those details in the Ancestry search and am still not finding a good match.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!