Author Topic: Re: South Africa search  (Read 992 times)

Offline sharon shapiro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa search
« on: Friday 16 June 17 06:42 BST (UK) »
" My name is Sharon Shapiro and I was born in Johannesburg South Africa 8th Novmber 1953.

I applied ten years ago to the department of home affairs in Pretoria for my birth certificate, I live now in Australia and have been an Australian since 1972. The  South African embassy in Canberra Australia applied twice for me. After the second time I paid south Africa embassy in Canberra I paid them a visit and they told me there was no record of be being born in South Africa.

There are three scenarios I can think of: 1. My birth was not registered. 2. Maybe I was adopted???? 3. Born Elsewhere. Could be many other scenarios, I would love to get my birth certificate. I would not know if I ever had an ID number as I came to Australia at 17 years old.

Maybe if I found out information of my South African Passport and my ID number or ID Card, I also had a drivers license a south African one which I had to relinquish to the Australian motor transport when I got my Australian drivers license.

So many unanswered questions. Will be grateful if someone can help me.

Sharon Shapiro

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Re: South Africa search
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 08:18 BST (UK) »

You say you had a South African drivers license.  We are only eligible here at 18 to have a drivers license, so it could not have been a South African one if you left to go to Australia at 17.  You are around the same age as me and so would not have been even able to get a learner's permit before 18.  The age has since been lowered. A South African drivers license also would contain your identity number and your fingerprints as well as a photo.

We also have to apply at 16 for our Identity documents, so if you only left at 17, you should have had one. Can you not find out what documents you had to hand over to the Australian gov. and perhaps obtain copies of them.

I do think however it was possible to obtain driver's license in the then Rhodesia at 16.  If you have your passport number they may be able to help. You may have been born in one of the neighbouring countries and your parents left to come to South Africa, a lot of folk did.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Re: South Africa search
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon - did your parents die in South Africa? If so their deceased estate files may be on NAAIRS www.national.archives.gov.za  The information on the Death Notice, which forms part of an estate file may be helpful. Naturally if adoption comes into the story this would not be the avenue to pursue. You appear to have some details (location of birth Joburg and precise date of birth for example) which should have enabled Home Affairs to find your birth certificate - however, if your birth wasn't registered I regret that is an insoluble problem. I don't think you would have had a SA drivers licence at age 17 when you left for Australia as one could only get that if 18 years old. There must have been documentation required at the Australian end when you emigrated - you could try to explore if these docs are still held by authorities in Australia and if so whether copies are available. Did you attend school in South Africa? May be an avenue to follow up - if the school has records going back to your years there. I am not clear if you have - or had - a SA Passport. Mole.
www.molegenealogy.blogspot.co.za 
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
I have split this and created a new topic for Sharon as her request was tagged onto the bottom of another topic.

I had a pm from Sharon yesterday and in my reply I suggested she start a new topic on the SA board and include a link to her previous topic and the help she has had here to prevent duplication of effort.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=489553.0
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 04:17 BST (UK) »
 From Sharon I am still trying to research my father. Isaac was born anywhere between 1907 and 1914 in Moletai Lithuania. I have since found out that his first wife's name was Janie Shapiro (born) Fogelman 1912 in Poland. Janie died March 1949 age 37 in Johannesburg South Africa at the Johannesburg General Hospital. They were married in 1944 (source: Janies death certificate) which I have. In 1950 Isaac married my mother Lily Segill (born Segal) in Johannesburg. I just cannot find my fathers family. Maybe someone can help.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi pampoen

Did you receive the contents of your last post as a personal message from Sharon?

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 June 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
I copied the info from the link you posted to help others. Link http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=489553.0
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.