Author Topic: James smith and Elizabeth Richardson from St Ives  (Read 4091 times)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: James smith and Elizabeth Richardson from St Ives
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 June 17 05:06 BST (UK) »
Simple explanation,not all IGI batches made it to familysearch.org or Hugh Wallis.Archersoftware have assembled the batches by county and you then select your parish (Abbots Ripton),click details to be added,add surname,expansion will show rough time frame,column 7 listed by Wallis if NO then unlikely to be on familysearch.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 June 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry to sound daft but are you saying that...

If someone doesn't show up on IGI to use 'archersoftware'?

Would this apply to entries for Scotland not showing on IGI  ???

What years does it cover?

Annie  ???  :-\  ::)  ;D

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 June 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
Keep in mind that many people were not baptised!Archersoftware just adds another layer to search.Dates and coverage vary so best to have a browse.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 June 17 02:07 BST (UK) »
I'd heard of Parloc (although never used it) but hadn't heard of Archers so thank you for the info. it's always good to hear of alternatives for research!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 June 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Nor me. I've not heard of either.
Ciderdrinker

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at Huntingdon Archives and found some answers and some more questions for you.

If you find you get a lot of people from St Ives then the records are transcribed and available on fiche or CD

http://www.huntsfhs.org.uk/cgi-bin/hfhsbookstall.cgi

Baptisms

5 June 1805 William Smith son of Thomas and Anne. Born 18 April 1805.
6 Sept 1807 James Smith son of Thomas and Anne (2nd Reg his wife). Born 13 June 1807. (brother to William)
19 August 1810 Sarah Newman daughter of Thomas and Anne (alias Smith). born 31 July 1810. Probable sister to William and James. See the parents marriage for the alias name.

13 October 1812 Elizabeth Richardson daughter of Anne. born 23 sept 1812 illegitimate (2nd Reg natural)

12 July 1780 Thomas Smith son of Ann. Born 19 June 1780. Possible baptism of William's father

22 Oct 1794 Ann Richardson daughter of William and Esther. Possible baptism of Elizabeth's mother

Marriages

17 April 1804 Thomas Smith (alias Newman) bac otp and Anne Lovell sp otp by Banns. Witnesses James Smith John Siphell and Jacob stevens

20 Feb 1829 William Smith bac otp and Elizabeth Richardson sp otp by Banns. Witnesses Charles Stevens and John Maile

28 March 1787 William Richardson bac otp and Hester Barr sp otp by Banns. Witnesses John Newman and John Bennett

Notes
1. Between 1803 and 1813 there is a duplicate register. Any differences to and in this register are marked (2nd Reg)).
2. Around 1780 (1777-1802) there is a Thomas Smith and wife Anne vicar at St Ives. I do not know if there is any connection to the Thomas Smith father of William.
3. Anne Lovell was not baptised in St Ives as far as I can see
4. I could not attribute a burial for William or Thomas Smith in St Ives 1841-1851

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 June 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
God you have done Well.
Thank you for going above and beyond.
I can't see a burial or death for William Smith 1841-51 either and obviously I didn't have Thomas to look for.
Smith is such a had name to look for and you have done so well.
THANK YOU ,THANK YOU ,THANK YOU!

Ciderdrinker

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 June 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
In respect of a death for William the nearest I could find is

SMITH, WILLIAM     46   
 GRO Reference: 1850  S Quarter in PETERBOROUGH  Volume 15  Page 237

and the age is about right. It could be William died out of area so that is why he is registered out of area. The only way to know if it is the correct William is to get the certificate, but even then that may not have enough details to help.

I assume that William dies in 1850/51 because young George Smith was born in 1850 and I assume William is his father, although perhaps this should be confirmed too.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 June 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I'm assuming that too as he has the same surname as the others and his mother's maiden name is Richardson,but then of course you're right and she could just have registered him as her husband's or not and he would have had the same surname.ST Ives looked really small and I'd have thought that the local registrar would have known his fellow villagers .
I think it may be a visit to the local archives and a few hours checking everything out .Smith is just too common a name .
Thanks once again

Ciderdrinker