Author Topic: Kennett and Quested  (Read 1477 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Kennett and Quested
« on: Friday 16 June 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have just been reading through the Canterbury Marriage Licence volumes and have come across the following entry for my ancestors :

Kennett, John, wide, and Mary Quested, w, both of Selling. At S. James in Dover,   Shadoxhurst, or S. Sept 2, 1732.

This has caused me a bit of a puzzle. Firstly I didn't know John was a widower when he married Mary. Secondly I didn't know she was a widow either. The info I have on this marriage comes from Ancestry.

I have a family tree for Mary which obviously seems wrong now as she wasn't a Quested by both. I also have a tree for John but all the Kennetts I've found are in Wye, not Selling. I also have a number of Wills for the Kennett line and the Quested family (who were from Brabourne).

Does anyone here know of any Kennetts in Selling, particularly John's first marriage or christening. More importantly does anyone know of a marriage between a Quested man and a woman named Mary before 1732 which might help me identify Mary's maiden name?

Anyhow back to the drawing board and time to unravel those Kennett/Quested links I had so far. I do love a puzzle
 ☺

Matt

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kennett and Quested
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
When the records say "both of Selling" that refers to where they were living at the time of the marriage.
It does NOT refer to where they were born ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
When the records say "both of Selling" that refers to where they were living at the time of the marriage.
It does NOT refer to where they were born ;D

Hiya

Yes I forgot about that. I probably didn't make it clear in my email though. I think the Kennett side is ok as John Kennett won't have changed his named. The problem I have is with Mary though.

If Mary was a widow when they married then obviously Quested wasn't her maiden name, this therefore means my work on her Quested ancestors becomes irrelevant to me as they won't be my ancestors. This does mean deleting a lot of people, the Quested line, the Sladdens, and the Winters, but I don't mind this as it makes the research more interesting. It does give me more work but puzzles like this are what make family history so interesting.

So what I need to find now is the marriage of Mary to a Quested in the area and then a burial which kills him off. If I can find a marriage of a Quested to a Mary firstly then that will be useful.

Anyhow I'm off to 'kill off' and delete the ancestors of Mary Quested from my tree.

This might also explain why I can't find any references to the Kennetts in the Quested wills I have obtained.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
Mornin' Matt,

One small correction but, geographically significant.  The couple were of Sellinge, which is some 12 miles SSE of Selling.

Now to look around to try and solve Mary's maiden name etc.

Tony

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 17 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

You might want to contact this member, involved in a Quested one name study

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=32260
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Mornin' Matt,

One small correction but, geographically significant.  The couple were of Sellinge, which is some 12 miles SSE of Selling.

Now to look around to try and solve Mary's maiden name etc.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for that detail. I think I might have solved half the puzzle already. At the moment I'm concentrating on John Kennett as I already have several Wills for members of this family. I do have a theory about Mary too as I have a John Quested married to a Mary, but no death for him. If I can work out when he died then I might have a candidate for my Mary.

I'll update you more once I've gone through the wills and checked a few things out.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

You might want to contact this member, involved in a Quested one name study

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=32260

Hi

Thanks for that info. I will try and contact them over the next few days.

Matt

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 September 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
I am currently looking for a John Kennet and Mary ? of Sellinge who had a daughter Catherine in 1721. I am thinking this Catherine might have married 'my' John Francis in 1743 in Smeeth.
You mentioned some John Kennet wills. Could they be transcribed and put up on this post please? Thank you so much

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
I am currently looking for a John Kennet and Mary ? of Sellinge who had a daughter Catherine in 1721. I am thinking this Catherine might have married 'my' John Francis in 1743 in Smeeth.
You mentioned some John Kennet wills. Could they be transcribed and put up on this post please? Thank you so much

Hiya

I don't have all the wills transcribed in full detail. I do have some notes on the wills of John Kennett (d1695) and another John (died 1696).

My Kennetts were from the Brook and Wye area of Kent and so far I don't have a record of any Catherine Kennett in my notes. My own ancestor Lucy (Lucebeth) Kennett was born in Brook in 1741.

If you would like any more details or copies of any of the wills I have please pm me and I'll see what I can do.

Best Wishes

Matt