Author Topic: Browns Square??Manchester where is it?  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Browns Square??Manchester where is it?
« on: Wednesday 28 July 04 15:04 BST (UK) »
Circa 1848 more specifically BOOTLE STREET !Manchester.Birth of who I reckon was my gg grandfather in sub - district of Deansgate.County of Lancaster.

ps How is the cricket going over there ? ::)

If you know of any team looking for an Aussie cricketer....let me know ! only joking.....!!!!!!!!!!

I AM serious about the other matter..........though.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Browns Square??Manchester where is it?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 July 04 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kimberley

I've found Bootle Street on an old map - now to scan it if I can.  ;D Success!! It is quite near the centre, not far from present day Manchester Victoria station.  No Browns Square though.  Now if I remember correctly, skippy's pretty good on Manchester - let's hope he reads this too.
Deansgate is the street running NNE - SSW: Bootle Street is down in the bottom right hand corner.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 July 04 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Kimberley and Little Nell,

What a tough one eh !

Here is a link to modern day manchester and Bootle Street is shown off Deansgate with the arrow.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=383672&y=398011&z=1&sv=bootle+street&st=6&tl=Bootle+Street,+Manchester,+M_2&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

The only map I have of the area concerned is dated 1894 and Browns Square is not shown I am afraid  :'(

[img]
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

skippy

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 04 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kimberley/Nell

Just caught up with you both. Havn't as yet read original message. I think have the gist but I'll take the time to read it Fri evening.

Browns Sq rings a bell.....maybe off Brown St which is off Market St which intersects with Deansgate but I'm not sure.

Bootle St is a 2 width vehicle very old part of the town and runs from Albert Sq to Deansgate.

I'll check and let you know if I find anything after reading original message.

In the meantime Kimberley...... was browsing Manchester Archives and came across a pic of Railway View circa 1964 ..100yrs too late but possibly one for your family album.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/lsuimage/streetview/railway.htm

cheers

Skippy

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 04 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks,skippy, for not letting me down. :)

I had a look at the 1881 census last night and Browns Sq was still there.  On the same route were a number of other places which seem also to have disappeared.  It goes from Bootle St (No 37) to Bootle Alley, Browns Sq, Browns Court, Taylors Court, Ryders Court, Syers Court, Abercrombie Yard to Jackson(s) Row. 

I have managed to get a look at the Slater's 1850 Directory of Manchester & Salford - couldn't get to see the plan on the website but it seems to indicate that Brown's Square is closest to 18 Bootle Street.  That may be the closest we can get.

Nell

skippy

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 04 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kimberley/Nell,

Couldn't locate map showing exact details of all buildings. But, following 1841 enumerators steps its definately in the Deansgate end of the first block of buildings. (So Nell I think your No 18 is the closest. There are no house numbers on 1841).
There were alleys and yards listed and it appears to be densly populated.
Have attached details and a couple of maps showing where I think it most likely is.
Also attached some photo's. The Black and White one was taken in Central Manchester in 1903 and shows what the alleys looked like.  Yards and courts would have veered off these alleys.

Sorry couldn't be more helpful on this one.

regards,

SKIPPY

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 July 04 20:06 BST (UK) »
Skippy,

Award yourself a prize - I am amazed at the picture.  And the map!!  Well done! ;D

Nell

PS I was intrigued by the circus marked on one of the maps - probably another interesting story there.

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 July 04 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Skippy,

Wow  :o Fantastic reply !!!

Well done, I was especially impressed with the aerial view shot  :)

I can't say how impressed we all are.

RootsChat :D
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

skippy

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 July 04 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell/Admin,

Just checked email ..so Im back on Rootschat (3rd time today). Glad you like the pics.

The 'circus' is actually Manchester Central Library. Built in 1930's. Its also the home
of Manchester City Archives/Family History. Its in St. Peters Square on the site of the battle of Peterloo. The Town Hall is next door. So yes Nell, there is another story there.

The arial pic came from MultiMap. Its on the tool bar above map images. I think it
covers most of UK.

Attached pic of the Library so you can see what it really looks like.