Author Topic: A Lewd and Disorderly Woman  (Read 2340 times)

Offline researcher1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A Lewd and Disorderly Woman
« on: Sunday 31 July 05 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am stuck on Eleanor Self in Lacock, Wilts, I would guess she would have been born around 1795. she has a child Ann, christened Dec 3 1815, marked as baseborn and a son (my ancestor) James in 1819 also illegitimate. on James's christening record under occupation the Vicar wrote of Eleanor "A Lewd and Disorderly Woman"  I can find no trace of Eleanor's birth anywhere in Wilts. I know of 5 other folk who are all searching for this lady. I do know she married a Charles Baker in Lacock Sep 4 1822. I have not found any issue from this marriage, I believe she died around 1833. Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A Lewd and Disorderly Woman
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 05 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Researcher1234,

I know that 1822 was before it was normal to put fathers' names on marriage certificates (more's the pity :( ) but can you get anywhere by trying to identify the witnesses for Eleanor's wedding? With luck and a following wind, they can be relatives of the bride and/or groom.

The other thought that occurs to me is that Eleanor and Ellen seem to be interchangeable in all records - have you checked for Ellen Self?

Sorry I can't come up with anything more inspiring at the moment  - I've spent a rather fruitless day myself this week at the Wiltshire record office going through the parish records for all parishes within access of the one my ancestor ended up in, in order to find a birth, so I know how frustrating this can be  ;D

Good luck

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire