Author Topic: help finding info on my grandfather  (Read 1766 times)

Offline jalan booker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help finding info on my grandfather
« on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,i am looking for information on my grandfather, sadly I have very little information my mother never met him as he and my grandmother separated but never divorced, I am interested in his ww2 military service but again not a lot to go on, I have no service record but my mother seems to think he was a desert rat, I know its a very long shot but any help of where to go and who to talk to would be helpful , I have been on forces war records but there are a few with the same name and not sure at the moment if I can afford to pay someone to search

his name is Frank Osmond born in Bristol we think on 20/4/1921

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: help finding info on my grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:10 BST (UK) »

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

His service record will be with the MOD:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
You can apply for his service records with just his name and date and place of birth, though there is a cost. You do not need to know his service number:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Much of the information on Forces War Records is available elsewhere free of charge.
(snap Nanny Jan  :))

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Great minds Ruskie.....   ;)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Frank Joseph Osmond with the birth date you gave died in Bristol in 1999.

As far as I remember you have to send proof of death ie a death certificate with your application for his Army Records. Unless it has gone up the charge was £30 for the service records.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
You say you "think" that Frank was born on 21-4-1921 .... As Gibel has found the matching death, do you think that the informant was unsure of his dob?

The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if that will match the dob he gave upon enlistment.  :-\ I suppose there is only one way to find out, and that is to order the service record giving the dob that you believe is correct.

Gibel is correct - you will need a copy of his death certificate so that will be an additional cost, unless a family member already has one.

Offline jalan booker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
thanks for the replies I only said ...think... because my father did some research and gave me a birth certificate copy, and I think you are correct on the death details of 1999, I just needed some starting ideas which you have given me, I have never done this type of research before so thank you for all the comments they are much appreciated  :)

Offline garbfink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 June 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
You should be able to get his service record from the mod. It's £30. As he was born left than 100 years ago but he does less than 25 years ago. You'll need to provide a copy of his death certificate and also a covering form from the next of kin. This would your father. Unless your grand mother is still with us and if they never seperated she could apply for them free of charge I beleive. The forms are pretty straight forward just be sure to follow the instructions. In typing on my phone at the moment so can paste the link to the gov. Website. But just google applying for ww2 service records and you'll find the right sight.

Good luck.
Carr - Yorkshire
Fulcher - Middlesex
Garbutt - Yorkshire
Kay - United States

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 June 17 02:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that Jalan needs any forms from Frank's NOK. In fact Jalan may be the NOK.  :) Definitely if a child of Franks is able to apply, that is all the better. Of course you can apply on their behalf, and have them sign the forms. (I did this for my husband when applying for his father's service records).

Anyone can apply for a service record, but I think some records are not included if the applicant is not related to the serviceperson. The more proof of relationship and the closer the relationship, the quicker and easier it will be all round. When I applied years ago, I supplied more information than requested just to be sure.  :)

All the information you need to include with the application is on the website.

Let us know how you get on.  :)