Author Topic: Latin naming at birth in the Parish registers  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Ruth Reeves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Latin naming at birth in the Parish registers
« on: Monday 19 June 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my Pierce Gee. Born sometime between 1810 and 1840, died in 1871. I know that I asked this before, on a different thread. However, I am finding some additional roadblocks. While I can find the marriage of Pierce to Mary Heffernan and can find the birth of their 4 children, I cannot find the birth of Pierce anywhere. What I did find was two births, one in 1813 and one in 1815. The 1813 Parish record showed Alicia Curreen and Michaelis Gee with the baptism name as Pat. m. I know I'm grasping at straws. The 1815 record only shows Gee as the father and Cuneen as the mother with no name for the child.  I also think my Pierce was married twice and had two batches of children. James Gee, born in 1841. Don't have a clue on siblings. And Mary, John, Catherine, and James with Mary Heffernan.  Irish Genealogy is so frustrating.

A friend of mine said that in some parishes, the priests were required to write the names and other information in Latin. I'm not finding that in all Parishes but of course in the one that I think he was born in. Would a person who was born with a latin name, later change their name? Would Pierce maybe be a middle name? Of course there are no middle names in the parish registers that I looked at.

Parish is Ring and Old Parish.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Latin naming at birth in the Parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Just posting your other thread for reference

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770356.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Would a person who was born with a latin name, later change their name
They weren't actually born/given/ a Latin name. It was just recorded in the Latin version of that particular name.

This may help http://www.from-ireland.net/irish-names/latin-names-in-english/

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 June 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
If this is the death of your Pierce then he was born earlier than you say, assuming the informant on his death certificate knew his correct age.
Death Pierce Gee
Date Registered 1871
Age at death 80 born about 1791
Registration district -   Dungarvan
Vol 14 Page 367
FHL film number 101585

Offline Ruth Reeves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 06:07 BST (UK) »
I do have that death record but have reason to believe that he was not as old as the person that reported the death said he was. Because,  that would have made him a father at the age of about 72 or 73 when he and Mary had their children.  Unless that's common over there.

Offline Ruth Reeves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 06:15 BST (UK) »
Crisane, I went to the link you gave me about the Latin to Irish names and while it is interesting,  it doesn't help with the Pierce name. But thanks for the suggestion. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 07:29 BST (UK) »
I do have that death record but have reason to believe that he was not as old as the person that reported the death said he was. Because,  that would have made him a father at the age of about 72 or 73 when he and Mary had their children.  Unless that's common over there.

Are you able to publish the death details - where did he die, who reported it?

Why do you think he married twice? You mention James, born 1841 - what happened to him?

I can't find the marriage to Mary Heffernan but you have that. Is there a place of residence and who were the witnesses?

Sorry that it is all questions. :)

Offline Ruth Reeves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Oh my. Let's see if I can answer some of the questions. 
1) The death occurred in Gortnadiha. It was reported by Abigail Gee.
2)  The father of James Gee, born 1841, was reported to be Pierce Gee. That information appears on a descendant report provided to me by one of the people on the list. James moved to Cardiff,  Wales and married Joanna Murphy who was also from Ireland.  Both parties were from the area of Ring, near Dungarvan.
3) The marriage of Pierce and Mary Heffernan was found in Rootsireland.ie  I would have to go find it in my files to see who the witnesses were. However, it's 2:30 in the morning and I'm going back to sleep.  Dogs got me up to pee. I'll be back on tomorrow.   :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply  :) have a good sleep. ;)