Author Topic: Help to identify uniform  (Read 2501 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify uniform
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 July 05 19:25 BST (UK) »
you may have a good chance of a result,with him being a bandsman,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline leon59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 00:50 BST (UK) »
Mack, I heard back form the Argyll and Southerland Highlanders Museum and was told that they could not help me without the men's regimental numbers, there were too many Campbell's.
Thanks again for your help and advice.
Angus: Bruce, Gray, Roy, McRobbie or Robbie, Spink, Doig,Perry,Petrie, Henderson
Ayrshire: Campbell, Taylor, McKay, Stewart, Weir, Thompson, Ferguson, Cornelius. Brodie, Morrison
Inverness: Campbell, McGillivray, McRae,

Offline ironmax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 January 06 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leon
           I see you are looking for your great uncle Colin campbell, and you have tried the argylls museum. there is only one researcher there and Rod is quite busy. As i do work in the museum to try and help out, I can maybe do some deeper digging for you, If you can give me some info on your great uncle such as  what year roughly he was born, was he your grandmother or grandfathers brother. If he was a piper or drummer he would not be under the bandmaster as he only did the military band (brass). any other info you can give -  where did he come from. I think I know the background where he is standing.

Offline ironmax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 January 06 19:46 GMT (UK) »
hi leon
           I forget to say that I have a pal here in Stirling and his name is Iain McRobbie, might be a relative.
             Iain

Offline leon59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 January 06 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ironmax,
Thank you for your offer, I hope this information helps find any information on them. Norman Campbell born August 1, 1884 at 86 Ardeer Square, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland. In the 1901 census he was living at 5 Dunlop Street, Cambuslang, Lanark. He left Scotland for the states June 19, 1909. He served during the Boer War and was a Piper.
Colin Campbell born June 8, 1894 at 86 Ardeer Square, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland. 1901 census was also living at 5 Dunlop St, Cambusland, Lanark. Colin left Scotland on March 7 1914. I don't know what years he was in the service but do know that he was also a Piper.
You said that you may know where the picture of Colin was taken, I would like to know where.
Thanks again for you offer of help.
Leon
Angus: Bruce, Gray, Roy, McRobbie or Robbie, Spink, Doig,Perry,Petrie, Henderson
Ayrshire: Campbell, Taylor, McKay, Stewart, Weir, Thompson, Ferguson, Cornelius. Brodie, Morrison

Offline leon59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 January 06 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Ironmax,
I forgot to add that Norman and Colin Campbell were both with the Argylle and Southerlnad Highlanders.
leon59