Author Topic: Young and old pictures, but of the same person? (Louisa Phyllis Humfrey)  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young and old pictures, but of the same person? (Louisa Phyllis Humfrey)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I can see a rather strange crease right across the top of the nose, almost as if there's been a bad injury there which has been fixed up, and the skin hasn't found a way to make it neat.
The younger woman has her chin right down, to look at the camera, which will always make the nose appear longer. 

Do you know if your relative might have been injured, facially, at any point? Accidents happen, wars happen...

Dulciebun x

It's a deep wrinkle across the bridge of the nose, not an injury - some people get wrinkles/frown lines in that area. Not unusual.

The younger woman has her chin right down, to look at the camera, which will always make the nose appear longer. 
Dulciebun x

It is the width of the nose and the shape of the nostrils that differ.

Lips change over time, they lose their plumpness and become a straight line in old age, so there's little point in saying the lips aren't the same. When the lips get thinner, the distance between nose and top lip gets wider.
Dulciebun x

Yes, lips do thin over time, but the whole area from the top lip to the nose in the young girl is a different shape and more protruding than Louisa's lip area.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dulciebun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young and old pictures, but of the same person? (Louisa Phyllis Humfrey)
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie! Thanks for your helpful input.
It's really useful to chat like this, isn't it, and I learn a lot too.

I'm 61 years old. I've just measured the width of my nose in a photo from my 20s, and I can see that my nose is now about 6 mm wider than it was in my youth. Interesting. My nostrils are wider and longer, too.
Physical features can thicken out, with age, with fat, or increased muscle. (e.g. my waist is very much bigger!!)

Certainly, I can see differences in the 2 photos posted up here. But somehow it still 'feels' like the same individual, you know, from a human point of view; it's like how you can still recognise your cousin when you haven't seen them for 40 years, and they've completely changed shape. A human connection, which no machine or computer could make.

I don't know the answer to this, but I think we should keep talking.

Dulciebun x

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.