Author Topic: Young and old pictures, but of the same person? (Louisa Phyllis Humfrey)  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young and old pictures, but of the same person? (Louisa Phyllis Humfrey)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I can see a rather strange crease right across the top of the nose, almost as if there's been a bad injury there which has been fixed up, and the skin hasn't found a way to make it neat.
The younger woman has her chin right down, to look at the camera, which will always make the nose appear longer. 

Do you know if your relative might have been injured, facially, at any point? Accidents happen, wars happen...

It's a deep wrinkle across the bridge of the nose, not an injury - some people get wrinkles/frown lines in that area. Not unusual.

The younger woman has her chin right down, to look at the camera, which will always make the nose appear longer. 

It is the width of the nose and the shape of the nostrils that differ.

Lips change over time, they lose their plumpness and become a straight line in old age, so there's little point in saying the lips aren't the same. When the lips get thinner, the distance between nose and top lip gets wider.

Yes, lips do thin over time, but the whole area from the top lip to the nose in the young girl is a different shape and more protruding than Louisa's lip area.

guest259648

« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie! Thanks for your helpful input.
It's really useful to chat like this, isn't it, and I learn a lot too.

I'm 61 years old. I've just measured the width of my nose in a photo from my 20s, and I can see that my nose is now about 6 mm wider than it was in my youth. Interesting. My nostrils are wider and longer, too.
Physical features can thicken out, with age, with fat, or increased muscle. (e.g. my waist is very much bigger!!)

Certainly, I can see differences in the 2 photos posted up here. But somehow it still 'feels' like the same individual, you know, from a human point of view; it's like how you can still recognise your cousin when you haven't seen them for 40 years, and they've completely changed shape. A human connection, which no machine or computer could make.

I don't know the answer to this, but I think we should keep talking.

Offline ChesterCross

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 July 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
An update to this thread. I have this photo of her a bit younger (taken from a Chester History page on Facebook) I also did an article for the Friends of the Meadows newsletter in 2018 - the 50th anniversary of her death (and 100 years since women got the vote)

guest259648

« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 July 20 19:29 BST (UK) »
Same person, yes. I go by the eyes.
Same lady, young and old. x

Offline DanNC

• RootsChat Member
  • William Day (1834-1902)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 July 20 19:33 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at the ears. The lobes look different in the two younger pictures. The woman with the hat has a rounded lobe and the other young woman has a lobe with a different shape. The eyes and eyebrows don't look simliar to me, either. Frankly, I don't see much of any similarity between them. (I'm not including the older woman. Pictures 2 and 3 are clearly the same woman.)

That and £10 will get you a good cup of coffee in central London.   ;D

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 July 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
I vote the same person
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 July 20 22:54 BST (UK) »
The latest photo posted is confirmation that you have photos of two different people.

I see virtually no similarities between the two.

I neglected to mention in earlier replies, that the eyes are glaringly different. Louisa’s eyes are pale and round in shape. The young girl’s eyes are almond shaped and possibly dark in colour (though that is inconclusive due to lack of detail in the old photo).

So you have three photos of Louisa at various ages, and one photo of someone else.  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 July 20 08:02 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how I missed this but I'll add my thoughts now.

I don't think the younger person is the same as the others because the eyes, nose and mouth and hair growth around the forehead/temple area are all different.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 July 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
With the addition of the 3rd photo for comparison I no longer think the youngest picture is the oldest lady. ::)
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.