Author Topic: Edward Leach R.N  (Read 3223 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Leach R.N
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
The Edward Leach in the Navy Lists cited by PaulineJ is a Gunner (the Gr in the entry) who was a Warrant Officer later, in Nov 1913, commissioned as Lieutenant (we get that from the additional details on page 677).

There is a National Archives RN Officer's record for an Edward Leach, a Warrant Officer appointed Lieutenant on 3 Jan 1914 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7571372 who could well be the same chap.  His date of birth is given as 13 July 1885.  Might be worth investing £3.50 on that record??  The fact that the birth date does not add up with the death should be initially overlooked.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Trapper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I don't really understand ranks, the family always said he eventually became a Lt. Commander

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 June 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
I'd feel a bit happier if I could get an idea of when he was born (leave aside the death entry for a moment) or have I missed it?

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 June 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Get the marriage certificate.
That should give a father, and an age at marriage.
Anything before the 1906 marriage is pure conjecture at the moment

is there anything regarding next-of-kin on that £3.50 download to confirm he's the right guy?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 June 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
In the spirit of Rootschat cooperation, I have downloaded the RN record.

It does not unfortunately give any family details BUT there are some helpful clues.  First it gives his date of birth as 13 July 1882, the National Archives have transcribed this wrongly in the catalogue.  Secondly it gives his "home port" as Devonport which would chime with births in the Devonport district.  It gives what looks like a home address in St Dominick  Cornwall (near to Devonport) in 1919 when he finished his Great war service.
There is an address at 12 Furneaux Avenue Plymouth in 1939 just before his second war service.  The property is given as vacant on the 39 Register but Beatrice R Leach born 23 Apr 1883 is on the register at another Plymouth address.  There is one other name but that record is closed.

He served from 1939 until 1946, serving in Scotland and later Devonport again.  This is the man in the Navy lists already cited.

Regarding his rank.  There are two possibilities.  Either, as is quite normal, his substantive rank, the one that is quoted in official records was Lieutenant and he had been promoted in a temporary or acting capacity to the next rank up (Lieutenant Commander) although there is nothing about that on his record.  Or, as again happens often, the family is mistaken in recalling his rank as Lt Comd.

There is only one Navy List which is the official Navy publication of all officers serving and retired in the period of publication and there is only one Edward Leach in the relevant time frames.  The same man also appears in the RN medal list for the Great War.

In 1911, Edward Leach, in the Royal Navy, age 29, with wife Beatrice Rosina and children Edward Robert George and Beatrice May and sister in law Alma Pridham are living in Devonport.

I am in no doubt that this is the man we are looking for.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 June 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
More.  A Warrant Officer was a sailor who had been promoted up through the ranks.  Many, as in this case, were later commissioned.

That leads us to Edward's record as a seaman before commissioning in 1913.  That is to be found on Ancestry and tells us he was born in Westbury Wiltshire 13 July 1882. (There is also a Westbury Bristol which may be the navy getting the county wrong as he says he was born in Bristol.)

He joined in 1897 as a boy seaman from school and served, rising up the ratings ladder, until selected for Warrant Officer in 1913.  Then his officer's record takes over.

All in all a first class career.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Trapper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 June 17 18:39 BST (UK) »
Wow MaxD, thank you so much for all that information, we know so little about him have no idea when or where he was born, we only new he was my husbands Grandad and his Wifes name, it went round the family that we was an orphan and went straight into the Navy as a boy.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 26 June 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome! I have sent you a PM.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk