Author Topic: Mystery Paintings from Millport area  (Read 2088 times)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Paintings from Millport area
« on: Sunday 25 June 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question, but I wasn't quite sure where else to post it.

My Grandfather has been going through his things and I've come to acquire a few mystery paintings. He said that his mother, my grandmother, Colina Campbell (1895-1953) brought them with her when she immigrated to Canada from Millport. They must have meant something to her to take them all that way. She also had some original watercolours done by her brother Arch J. Campbell (1879-1959). My Grandpa always assumed that the two oil paintings were also done by Arch, but after talking to a cousin many years ago who has now passed, she said that Arch never worked with oils, only watercolours so they couldn't be done by him.

I was curious to know if anybody knew of any other local painters from the Cumbraes? Or if you could point me in the direction of someone who might?

I've included photos of the 2 paintings. Both are not signed on the front. The sheep painting is done on a proper canvas, where as the ship painting is done on a much cheaper more rudimentary board leading me to believe it might have been a more amateur artist. I did find a pencil scrawl on the back of the ship painting, I can't make it out whether it's a signature or description.

I've also included a few of Arch Campbell's watercolours. When I was there last summer there was one of his paintings in Mary Ewing's sketchbook showcased.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!