Author Topic: 1837 web site  (Read 4892 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1837 web site
« on: Wednesday 28 July 04 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I spent all day yesterday on the 1837 site looking for the marriage of my great grandparents did a full 5 year surch 1850-55  and nothing , does that mean I am wasting my time and the marriage was not registered  or even no marriage took place even though the eldest child born 1853  the mother gave her name as Mary Sewell formaly Douglas
audrey

Offline pollyprd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1837 web site
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 04 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey
           Had the same problem with one of mine,     spent a fortune on 1837 online ,  I got intouch with 1837 & asked the reason,s why I couldn,t find the marraige  & was told in those days people were very laxed at registering BMD,s , & also  a marraige might not have taken place ,but took the parteners name for respectability ,  I am going to look in later yrs  , as I don,t want to give up yet ,   regards Pollyprd,   

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 04 10:48 BST (UK) »
I can vouch for the early days slack registering - quite a few of my tree were born 1837/8/9 no appearance on the register.  BUT they do appear on the parish baptismal records.

Many churchs continued to write their B M D down after the start of statutory registration but many haven't been transcribed and therefore aren't on IGI because you can get them on the statutory reg (in theory).

Was that too convoluted?  I don't think I'm making much sense today, no high powered decisions or fork lift trucks for me!!!

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 04 11:37 BST (UK) »
Well I took the bull by the horns today and sent off to Carlisle regisry office giving the names of my Ggrandparents and the detais EG singel in 1851 re the census and married when the first son  was born  will just have to see what comes back if anything but keeping fingers and toes crossed
audrey