Author Topic: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation  (Read 11572 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation
« on: Monday 26 June 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
According to something I just read in a german forum, the LDS is going to stop sending microfilms out after August 30th. 2017.

I couldn't find any reference to it here, so I am posting the link to the (english) page:
On September 1, 2017, FamilySearch will discontinue its microfilm distribution services.  (The last day to order microfilm will be on August 31, 2017.) [...] The change is the result of significant progress made in FamilySearch’s microfilm digitization efforts and the obsolescence of microfilm technology. [...]
https://www.lds.org/callings/temple-and-family-history/familysearch-microfilm-discontinuation?lang=eng&_r=1

Amongst reasons quoted are
  • the increased and still increasing digitalisation of existing microfilms
  • the ease of access through the internet of digitised records
  • obsolescence of microfilm equipment and technik

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 03:30 BST (UK) »
I'm not too surprised they will be discontinuing film. I had ordered my first microfilm in May and realised when I got to the family history centre that so much was online from within their building that I sent the microfilm back without using it.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 05:07 BST (UK) »
Is this only in UK?  Or worldwide?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 07:57 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing world-wide, as they have made a very general information page about it, without mentioning any restrictions.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
I posted this in March

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767592.0

I know it specifically relates to The National Archives but is being out into effect elsewhere in the world.

You can filter this (growing) list by location and then look for the camera icon.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list

eg the UK collection

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

Some online images can only be viewed at a LDS family hostory centre.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 June 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that there are many "hidden" batches of record images on FS that are not found by search and do not appear in their collection list. They can be found via results lists using catalogue. By searching for a particular location you get a list of records. Through trial and error by clicking on the camera icon in each batch you can discover various record image collections. Here are some of the new resources for Liverpool and the Isle of Man:-

Liverpool

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770691.0

Isle of Man

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=771330.0

Blue

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
I have found that many of the films digitised and viewable on-line at a LDS library for the places I want to look at, are films of the Bishop's Transcripts. MAny of the actual Parish registers are still only viewable by sending for the film.
These are for places that are not on the subscription sites.
So how will that work after the end of August?
Hopefully it means that those places not already digitised, will be soon - either by the LDS, or one of the subscription sites - we live in hope!  ;) (Did I see Ancestry were  going to be doing Derbyshire? About time somebody did!)

Having said that, there are digitised films on LDS you can't get to see anywhere else without actually going to the pertinent RO - like Parish Chest films sometimes, which include Poor Law Records, churchwardens accounts etc. And even some Scottish ones I found yesterday (without having to go through SP). All very interesting.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to know how much it would cost to hire a film (in New Zealand), at it may be cheaper than getting individual images for 6 credits from ScotlandsPeople.  And when you browse a parish register you often find information you didn't even know you were looking for.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to know how much it would cost to hire a film (in New Zealand), at it may be cheaper than getting individual images for 6 credits from ScotlandsPeople.  And when you browse a parish register you often find information you didn't even know you were looking for.

Looking at the familysearch website the fees appear to be

https://familysearch.org/films/

Short-term Microfilm Loan (up to 90 days)  NZ$10.65
  Extended Microfilm Loan (indefinite)  NZ$26.62

Short-term Microfilm Loan Renewal  NZ$10.65
Extended Microfilm Loan Renewal  NZ$26.62
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.