Author Topic: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation  (Read 11511 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
I think that's the only way to see the images smudwhisk. Had you logged in with your own id and password, it would still not recognise you were logging in from an LDS centre, and hence able to view the films.
It's  a great resource isn't it!  :)

Ah, that might explain it but then how do they know when the person using the PC changes to limit the number of downloads?  I suppose you just log off and back on to the PC. :-\  Anyway, not bothered one way or the other.  The only other time I tried to print some images from the catalogue was probably 5 years ago, just after they started uploading stuff, and it wouldn't print so was much better today. ;D

Yes its a wonderful resource, especially not having to pay £7.50 per film. ;)  I can see many happy hours back using the FHC again.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
I am a volunteer at our local FHC. I haven't heard about any limit on downloads.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
lanercost said there was a limit of 160 images per visit.

Saving images is definitely the way to go but there is a limit of about 160 downloads per visit so don't go too nuts.

I managed 111 this morning in 3 hours.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
I don't think I would ever want to download that much!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
I was downloading Wills, so some have several pages. ;D  As its a 35 mile round trip to the FHC to view them, I went prepared with a list and saved them to study later at home with the rest of my research.

Offline julialbert

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
lanercost said there was a limit of 160 images per visit
Breast Actives Reviews
Saving images is definitely the way to go but there is a limit of about 160 downloads per visit so don't go too nuts.

I managed 111 this morning in 3 hours.
I try but managed only 65 downloads in 3 hours

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 07 January 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I know we are lucky to be able to visit the LDS Family History Centres but do make sure that the volunteer who runs the session has your phone number so that, in the event that they are unable to attend that day, they can let you know and save you travelling miles for nothing.

Sometimes I've found that the opening hours are "flexible" if you are the only person left searching and the person in charge decides to close early and you are only just getting into your stride >:(

Susan

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 07 January 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I know we are lucky to be able to visit the LDS Family History Centres but do make sure that the volunteer who runs the session has your phone number so that, in the event that they are unable to attend that day, they can let you know and save you travelling miles for nothing.

Sometimes I've found that the opening hours are "flexible" if you are the only person left searching and the person in charge decides to close early and you are only just getting into your stride >:(

Susan

On the other hand you could always phone the FHC before setting out to ensure they will be open.
Why add to the things they have to do?

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 07 January 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
On the other hand you could always phone the FHC before setting out to ensure they will be open.
Why add to the things they have to do?

Cheers
Guy

Depends how far you have to travel.  The FHC I use is a 40 minute drive away and only opens for 3 hours at a time.  Waiting for them to open and then to travel there reduces the time available by almost an hour.  I have been phoned by the FHC in the past to say they weren't opening as they know how far I travel but it tends to depend on the volunteer and the circumstances of the need to close as on another occasion I've got there and found they were shut.