Author Topic: Thomas & Mary Burke  (Read 3160 times)

Offline mikeburke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas & Mary Burke
« on: Tuesday 27 June 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
wondering if you can help me, I'm looking for the parents names of a Thomas Burke, Born in 1886 in Tuam, Co Galway.  He went on to Marry a Mary Burke in Whitwick in Leicestershire England in 1918.
He lived in Carhoon Co Galway with a Patrick and Bridget Treacy who had 5 children together in the 1901 census.  He died on 20th November 1970 in Forest Town Nottinghamshire.
I'm also looking for his date of birth.
Hope someone can help,
Thanks,
Mike.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Mary Burke
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
He appears to be the nephew of Bridget Treacy/Burke who were likely married before 1871
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kay/
daughter Anne 1884
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1884/02676/1986080.pdf

you would need to find their marriage to see which of Bridgets siblings is his father.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Moat/Carhoon/1395870/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
wondering if you can help me, I'm looking for the parents names of a Thomas Burke, Born in 1886 in Tuam, Co Galway.  He went on to Marry a Mary Burke in Whitwick in Leicestershire England in 1918.
He lived in Carhoon Co Galway with a Patrick and Bridget Treacy who had 5 children together in the 1901 census.  He died on 20th November 1970 in Forest Town Nottinghamshire.
I'm also looking for his date of birth.
Hope someone can help,
Thanks,
Mike.

Marriage certificate should list father's name and occupation (unless illegitimate).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline mikeburke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
thank you to you all for the fast reply's and your help.  From the link to findmypast I found him at his home address in Forest Town in 1939 and from there I was able to unlock the household and get his birthday - 6th August 1885.
I want to a birth certificate for him but when I called the registrar yesterday they advised with Burke being such a common name that they was unable to pinpoint the exact record.  I'm going to call them back and see if they can proceed with his birthday without his parents names as I'm sure that will narrow it down :)
Thanks,
Mike

Offline mikeburke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I've called the registrar and they still want his parents names (particularly mothers maiden name).
I now have Thomas and Mary's marriage certificate on order so ill have to wait for that to arrive but I assume that will only give me both there fathers names,
Ill keep digging meanwhile :)
Thanks
Mike.

Offline mikeburke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Again Everyone,
could someone please do a lookup for me?  I now have the following information about Thomas Burke:
Thomas Burke.....
Born 6th August 1885.....
Married to Mary Ann Allen, on the 1st June 1918 at Holy Cross Church, Whitwick, Leicestershire, England......
Died 20th November 1970 (Mary Died 17th July 1968) buried at St Alban The Martyr Church, Forest Town, Nottinghamshire. Living in Forest Town at the time of Death & in the 1939 Census.
Fathers name is Patrick Burke – Deceased in 1918 at the time the Marriage Certificate was produced.......
1901 Census Of Ireland Thomas was living in Carhoon, County Galway with his Aunty Bridget (Burke) Treacy who was married to Patrick Treacy and lived with there 5 Children.  Thomas was 15 years of age, Patrick 42 and Bridget 36.

The registry office cant find a Thomas Burke born on his birthday but I know the above information to be accurate.

I now only need his mothers name then I'm sure the registry office can help me with a birth certificate for him.

Thanks,
Mike.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Birth Certs don't always have correct dates, many people fibbed about when a child was born to avoid a fine for late registration. We regularly find childrens Baptisims weeks earlier than the birth date on their birth cert.

Offline mikeburke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 June 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Sinann,

I now have Thomas Burkes Discharge Document from the war and it has yet another birth date on it :)

Even with this document it doesn't give any information with regards to his parents.

Does anyone have any further suggestions to what I could do to find his mothers name?

Thanks,
Mike