Author Topic: John Taylor  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Taylor
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 July 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much DB well done  :D so it looks like my hunch was right, every thing fits,
 I did an extensive search on the Free week end on Ancestry but didn't come with much, at the moment I have problems with seeing the screen, so I may have missed some :-\

I also did a search for Land grants it came up with 4 & they didn't look right John

Now I have to find Johns brother Edward, who was ill I couldn't find a death, he is not with any of the family on the UK census, but  there is a Edward that fits on the passenger list, so may be he came over to stay with his brother?

Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 July 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
Looks like John Taylor sent for a bride!  ;)
This is all I have found so far on Victorine Botte 

Victorine Botte  Immigration  Jun 1912  Quebec City, Quebec, Canada  Female  40  1872  France  Ascania 
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AVictorine~%20%2Bsurname%3ABotte~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AFrance~%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3AFlorance~%20%2Brecord_country%3ACanada
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 July 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

UK Outgoing Passenger List, on the ship Ascania, same ticket #
Botte, Miss age 19 (?? must have been a rough voyage, she aged 21 years), domestic, last permanent residence London, England. Perhaps John met her when he was back in the UK.

From "Our Roots" a book called "Dynamic Dinsmore" there is a short bio of John Taylor. He came
to Sask. in 1916 with a small son Lucien....the 1921 census lists him as "daughter" ::) He married
Dorothy Steele in 1941.
http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=3933189&qryID=9ffcff95-9240-4789-abe2-a8290d9d65a5

Dorothy is in the Dinsmore cemetery as well, b. June 26, 1920 d. Sep. 26, 2000.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=taylor&GSiman=1&GScid=2194187&GRid=115201179&

What passenger list did you find Edward on?

Cheers,
DB

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much  DB  :D for all you have found, I did look for the UK Outgoing Passenger List, for the ship Ascania thinking there may be more info, but I couldn't find it!!  the info you found is interesting,
The short bio of John Taylor from "Dynamic Dinsmore is a wonderful find, so there may be descendants living Hamilton, I will have to see if I can trace them.
I have tried to find a map of the area with no luck, I also looked for any newspaper cuttings with no success, I am not doing very well am I ???

Edward he was discharged from the army at Netley Hampshire on the 1st Jan 1889 as no longer fit suffering from " ague"[ malaria since 1.10.87]  his brother John came to UK Sep 1896.

I cant find him for sure in the 1891, 1901, & 1911, I may have missed him as it a common name, I didn't find a death, I think this may be him
Edward Taylor Birth Date: abt 1866 Age: 45 Port of Departure: Quebec, Canada Arrival Date: 13 Oct 1911 Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England Ports of Voyage: Quebec Ship Name: Empress of Britain Search Ship Database Shipping line: Canadian Pacific Line Official Number: 120940,
[ Pensioner]

Ed Taylor 43. 1868 Dep 19 Apr 1911 Bristol,  for Quebec, on Royal George, drill instructor ? army or mining?

Ann

Offline Hawki56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 05:14 BST (UK) »
I was contacted by a dbree, a volunteer researcher, to add to this thread.

I am Lucien's (who went by Lou) wife Dorothy's (or Dot as the family called her) nephew - she was dad's sister.

The land location you found NW 1/4 Section 31, Township 27, Range 10, Meridian W3, is the Taylor homestead. It is located just northeast of Dinsmore, Saskatchewan in what my dad always referred to as 'the little green valley'.  In the relatively dry prairie area where we were raised (our farm was about 10-12 miles southwest of here), there was limited surface water, but the valley had a series of sloughs that generally remained full.

Uncle Lou served in the Canadian Armed Forces (I presume Army based on stories I have been told) in Europe in WW2.  While Lou was overseas, Dot worked in a war plant in Hamilton, Ontario.  Lou and Dot settled in Hamilton and he had a long career with one of the steel firms located there.

In their advancing years (1980ish) they moved back to Saskatchewan to Saskatoon.

They had two children - a son, BT, who came out west a couple of summers in the early 60's and worked as a hired man for my dad; and a daughter GT, who moved to Saskatoon after high school and spent many weekends out at Dinsmore at our home - kind of adopting my parents as substitutes for her parents, who remained some 3000 km east in Hamilton.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi BD,
I found Victorine Botte as Botta on  family search.
<https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AVictorine~%20%2Bsurname%3ABotts~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AFrance~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1873-1873~> also 1906 census for a Victorine Boez?

Victorine Botta Event Type Census Event Date 31 Mar 1901, Servant Birth Year (Estimated) 1873 Birthplace France (French)  Event Place St Margaret And St John, London, Middlesex, England County London,......
Victorine was a cook for the family of Charles Thomson  a Justice of the Peace,2nd  life guard  army & Agnes Thomson living  at Rutland House

I have had another look for her on ships list still not found her on A...!. I also cant find her on the 1911 census if she was a cook she may be out of the country with the family ?

Thank you again for your help

Ann

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hawki56
Thank you for that is fascinating :D, is there any way of contacting the nephew?

Ann

Offline Hawki56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
Ann E, I'm not sure I understand your request - I am Lucien and Dorothy's nephew. 

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Hawki56,

Sorry I misunderstood the message, lovely to have made contact with you. :)
I would like to send you a P M personal message, but I think you have to post 3 messages, before I can do that

I have got it right, Dorothy Steele was your dad' sister?

I did look for Lucien's Canadian Armed Forces records but couldn't  locate them.

Thank you contacting me, & for all the info.

Ann