Author Topic: St Mary's or Battersea Rise Cemetery  (Read 9896 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's or Battersea Rise Cemetery
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 19:43 BST (UK) »
Sadly not. What I posted is the original file spec that I received. I have seen clearer images available elsewhere. Likely the Cemetery Office has access to better plans than these which they can send out. Some of the images I have are easier to read than others for sure :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TimQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 04 September 23 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks for putting up all this information. I've got a couple of great great grandparents buried in the cemetery but have struggled to find their grave numbers on the images!
John Deacon was buried on Nov 22, 1874, in grave 6905 while his widow Tabitha was buried on May 6, 1875, in grave 7202.
The staff at Wandsworth bereavement service have been very helpful in giving me the grave numbers as the online search is down at the moment but I'm waiting to see if they can supply more details like the section they are in.
If there's any tips you can give me to find out more I'd be very grateful.
Tim

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 04 September 23 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The lair maps are not the best as they are pretty dense aren't they and can be hard to try and find a specific grave.

As you say, if you, I would wait for enable to confirm the section letter to let you focus in more detail to try and find the grave location within the right section.

Monica

Offline TimQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

The lair maps are not the best as they are pretty dense aren't they and can be hard to try and find a specific grave.

As you say, if you, I would wait for enable to confirm the section letter to let you focus in more detail to try and find the grave location within the right section.

Monica

Unfortunately Monica their graves have been lost in a reorganisation as the helpful staff at the bereavement service explain below. I wonder if quite a few others have gone the same way. Tim
"I have searched our maps and can confirm the graves are located on the right hand side of section A1 at St Mary’s/Battersea Rise Cemetery. Unfortunately the graves are no longer accessible, the 2 graves in question are public graves and in the 1920’s the local authority had run out of burial space and made the decision to build up the land where the public graves were situated to create new graves."

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 07 September 23 20:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Tim...missed your last post.

That is a pity  :-\  However, even identifying the specific areas for the graves...it would be so hard to find the actual lairs. Section A is the oldest and next to no stones remain to help you get your bearings.

Each section is super packed as you have seen from the plans. The actual size of the cemetery is not so big.

Attached below is a photo I took a couple of years ago. The tall grasses are much taller today. The Council normally have Section A in and out of 'rewilding' so it is currently inaccessable.

I have also enclosed a link here to www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4885974 which has a series of photos. Section A is across the road (Battersea Rise) from St Mark's Church. So where you can see the church, Section A is nearby. The grass was trimmed when these photos were taken so easier to see the actual land area.

Monica

Offline will1593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 06 January 24 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Visited the cemetery two days ago and wish I'd found this forum before I did so. Wandsworth were helpful in providing the relevant page from the burial register even though their website wouldn't accept payments  :). I am looking for grave 9992 where my great grandfather and his parents are buried. From the scans here it looks like there are two candidates in section M. Monica - is there a way to check the originals or to get a higher resolution scan? Thanks for making this information available.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 07 January 24 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Will

It is eye numbing looking at the maps isn't it!

I think I can see 2 possibilities. Are these the one you mean? Probably the first one looks more like '9992'.

This section is more recent than those in the early alphabet sections. With some luck, there will be remaining stones with lair numbers to let you check in more detail. What was the surname(s) and years of death?

Are you local to be able to pop in and check? I am be able to go at some point this week if not.

You could also try to recontact the Office and ask for more assistance, highlighting the possible two entries you have found. They have access to more supporting info that might help further.

Monica

Offline will1593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 08 January 24 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica. Yes those are the two that looked like possibles to me. Having found these I didn't look in other sections. I'll follow up with the office to see what they have. There's a note in the register that the grave was purchased - and with a reference number to the 'purchased graves register'. Perhaps that register would have additional information.

No longer in the area, but will be back at some point. Thanks for the offer to take a look. I'll see what the office comes up with first. Surname is McFarlane, with burials in 1881, 1904 and 1908.

Scan of Google Earth overlay of the section M plan indicating locations of the two possibles we've identified.