Author Topic: McIntyres of Sliddery  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
McIntyres of Sliddery
« on: Wednesday 28 June 17 01:49 BST (UK) »
I'm researching Margaret McIntyre, born in Kilmory. 1851 Census suggests her birth c1821, her Death record suggests c1813. Her Birth/Bap not found.

In 1849 she married James King, farmer at Lugtonridge, Beith, Ayr. They had daughter Mary in 1850 in Beith; son James on 14 June 1860 at Sliddery, Kilmory; and possibly a daughter Catherine (1871 Census has a Margat King in Sliddery (born c1816), Widow, with daughter Catherine born c1857 in Ireland). As Margaret had son James in Sliddery, there's a good likelihood that her connection to Kilmory will be to the Sliddery area.

Valuation Rolls show the King family at Lugtonridge until at least 1855, but I can't find the family in the 1861 Census – if daughter Catherine was born in Ireland in 1857 perhaps they were living over there during this period with Margaret popping back to Sliddery in 1860 to birth James there.

Margaret King (nee McIntyre) died on 1 Jan 1892 in Paisley, Renfrewshire. Her Death Record describes her as Widow of James King, farmer; and the death was informed by son James King who gave her parents as Donald McIntyre, Farmer (Decd) and Mary McIntyre m.s. Cook (Decd). This is where I come unstuck.

Census records show numerous McIntyre families in Sliddery. Possible parents of Margaret are:
Donald McIntyre, farmer, with wife Catherine (Cook) [dau of John Cook & Mary McKinnon - per Catherine's Death record].
Donald McIntyre, farmer, with wife Mary (McBride) [dau of Peter McBride & Mary McKinnon - per Mary's Death record].

So I don't have an actual “Mary Cook” as wife of Donald McIntyre, just combinations of those names. Perhaps Margaret's death informant got it wrong, or perhaps there was a further Donald McIntyre with wife Mary Cook who don't appear in the Census at Sliddery.

Searching for “Donald” McIntyres involved also searching for “Daniel”, as I discovered those forenames are interchangeable.

Does anyone connect with the above names?

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyres of Sliddery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have seen connections with my Mcintyres and sliddery going back a long while. I suspect this is not exactly uncommon. May have to do some more in depth looking. My McIntyres originated in Campbellton from what I have seen and then Arran.
Marc

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 18 05:05 GMT (UK) »
I know there aren't any OPR Death records for Kilmory Parish, but it seems Kilmory's Births and Marriages are also quite thin on the ground, e.g. ScotlandsPeople only has 8 McIntyre marriages and 4 McIntyre births for the period 1800-1854 – this is despite FamilySearch Wiki indicating that Kilmory OPR Births and Marriages do cover that period. Marc, have you had trouble finding your Kilmory ancestors over that 1800-1854 period, or have you found those Kilmory Birth and Marriage records quite comprehensive? If you've found those Birth & Marriage records quite complete, it may simply be that my McIntyres only had a fleeting connection with Kilmory and I'm simply looking in the wrong place.

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 18 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

There were a lot of McIntyre's in and around the Sliddery and Campbellton areas. Finding info has been a challenge especially prior to the early 1800s.  I have hints and such. My earliest ancestor has been James McIntyre and I believe he was born 1790 in Glenorchy and Inishail. I am only working from a baptismal record that named his parents. The problem I have is his mother Betty Stevenson whose name I have never seen carried forward which is unusual. That said there could be a reason for that. I did have contact with a lady in Scotland who had shared the info but the info is no longer available. It indicated the Campbellton and Sliddery connection.
You never know it is a matter of finding the right connection.

Marc