Author Topic: Bethel Baptist Chapel Lower Chapel MI  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Tyseren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bethel Baptist Chapel Lower Chapel MI
« on: Wednesday 28 June 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My first post here  :)

I've traced my ancestors to Pantycorred Mill, Garthbrengi.  My great grandfather was the Treasurer and Deacon of Bethel Baptist chapel around the turn of the 19/20 century.  He died in 1928.  Can someone tell me if Bethel is still a chapel? If it has a graveyard is there a list available online of those buried there?  Similarly, his parents and grandparents were members of Horeb chapel in Llywel - is there a list of MIs available for that chapel?

Many thanks
Helen

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bethel Baptist Chapel Lower Chapel MI
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, and a warm welcome to rootschat.

This link should show a photo of lower chapel baptist chapel. It has a graveyard but I do do not know about MI lists
http://map.coflein.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_details&numlink=6071

Mike

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
There is some information on the Coflein & Genuki sites regarding Horeb Chapel, Cwmdwr in the community of Llywel, (old county of) Brecknockshire. It states it was built 1820, virtually rebuilt in 1905 and by mid 20th century closed , by 2001 in ruins.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
I was looking for that one as well ellenmai, if it's the one I think it is then it has a ruined graveyard, unfotunately it is on a busy main road in the middle of nowhere, there is nowhere to stop or park for miles ;D,  otherwise I would go and have a look.

Mike

Edit. No it's not that one, I will see if I can find it on satellite images. I can see llywel church with a big graveyard

Offline Tyseren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks both :-) 
Helen

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 June 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
Mike I think Helen was looking for burials at Horeb & Bethel Chapels, the Church in Llywel is St David's Anglican. On saying that perhaps the family were buried at this church and there is a list of 75 burials on Find a Grave website. There are also some photographs of the headstones, so it's worth a look.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 June 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
I have since located Horeb chapel and it is indeed the derelict chapel alongside tha A40 between Trecastle and Halfway, inaccessible except on foot.

Mike

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 June 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Coincidentally, Jan (Groom) and I drove past Horeb Chapel only yesterday on our way to and from Dolaucothi Goldmine at Pumpsaint.  I used to live in the Llywel parish (my mother is buried at St David's Church, Llywel and my late husband designed some of the large candle-sticks there), so I know the area well.  You can actually park off the A40 by the chapel,  as there is a track which goes up to the chapel, which is where visitors park.  It really is rather a wonderful place because, although derelict, local people still visit and place flowers on the graves of their loved ones.  So whilst the chapel is no longer used, it is certainly not forgotten.  Incidentally, the chapel is in full view of the road so after parking, it is only necessary to walk a few metres up the track.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 July 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen, many of my family are buried at Bethel, including my father in the 1990s. The graveyard is still used for burials but the chapel itself is very small inside.
I've had to go directly to get the dates for my family as I haven't been able to find them on FindMyPast which has good parish record information for Breconshire.
I'm not sure if you have accessed Welsh Newspapers where you can search for articles up to 1919.
This one relates to John Powell of the mill in 1916
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4094369/4094375/61/
Mar  :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk