Author Topic: HELMAN Look up please  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Bernie53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELMAN Look up please
« on: Thursday 29 June 17 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for the direct family line of Helman. I have hit a brickwall with my grandparents...
Edward HELMAN born 18 aug 1891 Kent, died 7 feb 1950 Geelong, Australia.
and
Gertrude Johanna (THOMAS) HELMAN born about 1884 in Southsea, Portsmouth, Kent. Died 6 sept 1951 Geelong, Australia. I know they married in Portsmouth some time in March 1915. 

I am looking for my grandfather's parents and siblings and  anything further back as I have nothing of my Helman line before they came to Australia.

I only have on my grandmother's side her parents names of Alfred and Margaret (Dempsy) Thomas but no dates. My grandmother had 2 sisters Mary and Margaret who also came to Australia. 

Any information on my grandparents would be appreciated as I am stuck. If you know of or are working on this family please let me know. I am the son of Edward John Helman.

Warm regards from Australia
Bernie Helman

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: HELMAN Look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 June 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
I can see the marriage of Edward Helman and Gertrude Thomas at Portsmouth in March qtr 1915 2b 963

In 1911 there is an Edward Helman, 27, gunner, New Brompton at Clarence Barracks Portsmouth.  There is a WWI medal card for this fellow #15705 Royal Garrison Artillery entering the war 8 March 1915 and was in India 1919.

In 1901 he is 17, general labourer at the gas works, New Brompton living Gillingham Kent with some siblings and parent Henry and Kate.

In 1891 he is 7 with all the same details.

In 1881 Henry and Catherine are in Gillingham and there is a step-daughter with the surname Walker, but I can't find a marriage for a Helman/Walker pairing.

But I did find a birth registration for Edward Arney Walker June qtr 1884 Bromley 2a 427 with the mothers maiden name of Dean so I don't know if this is just a coincidence.

I think it best you get the marriage certificate for his father's name and occupation and go from there.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 June 17 06:39 BST (UK) »
Henry's children mentioned by Mirl - Elizabeth, Henry, Charles, John & Edward have mmn Ely on the birth registration index

HILLMAN, EDWARD    mmn ELY     
1883  Sept Quarter
MEDWAY  Volume 02A  Page 571

As already suggested the marriage certificate for Edward is the way to go  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 June 17 07:12 BST (UK) »
The birth date you have is from his WW11 registration in Australia.(18 August 1891)

The WW1 in 1903 when he signs up for the Royal Garrison Artillery he is 20 years 10 months old making his birth date circa 1883.
If you scroll through his papers 22 pages his father is Henry of 1 Church Street Portsmouth and at some point this is lined through and Gertrude his wife is named as next of kin living in Portsmouth.
Date of the marriage is given as 13 February 1915 at Southsea to Gertrude Jonanna/Johanna Thomas and witness are Patrick Fitzpatrick and Margaret Thomas.

Do you have photographs or memory of him, he is described as 5'7 3/4" tall, dark complexion, brown eyes, dark brown hair, religion Church of England. On his left arm is a mark like the number 3.
He served for 19 years 230 days and received a pension his number 15705

The 1883 registration of Edward Hillman is a good match

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 June 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
I think Henry Helman and Catherine Ely did not marry as she was already married :

Catherine  Sarah Ely and John Bailey J-S 1860 Medway 2a 519

1861 in Gillingham

John Bailey 25 Private Royal Marines Yorkshire Pocklington
Catherine S Bailey 18 wife Brompton

1871 in Gillingham

John Ely 59
Sarah Ely 57
John Bailey 30 boarder married Royal Marine
Kate Ann Bailey 7
Priscilla Bailey 5
Mary Ann Bailey 3

1871 census in Gillingham

Henry Helman 28
Catherine Helman 28
Sarah Helman 1

Sarah Helman may be Sarah Jane Bailey 0-D 1869 Medway 2a 457 ( mmn Ely ).

Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 June 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
1881 census

Henry Helman 40
Catherine 39
Kate Ann Walker step dau married
Priscilla Helman step dau
Mary Ann Helman step dau
( all 3 of the above born Bailey  )
Eliza 9
Emma 7
Henry 5
Sarah Jane 12 step dau ( also registered Bailey )

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 June 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
I only have on my grandmother's side her parents names of Alfred and Margaret (Dempsy) Thomas but no dates. My grandmother had 2 sisters Mary and Margaret who also came to Australia. 

You probably have enough to do with following up on the Helman side for now , but for future reference :

Alfred Thomas ,full age, bachelor ,printer of St Dunstan's in the West; father James Thomas deceased
Margaret Agnes Dempsey,full age, spinster of the parish of Fareham , Southampton , father John Dempsey Barrack Labourer
married 20 Mar 1887 St Dunstan's West.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 June 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Sister Eliza/ Elizabeth married John Johncock 1896, she died 1944 Chatham Kent
Sister Emma married William Godden 1891 died 1965 Maidstone Kent
Brother Henry married Ethel Attwater 1901 possible death 1931
Brother Charles married Harriett Mills 1904  died 1965
Brother John married Sarah Charlotte Hobbs 1904 they went to Quebec Canada arrived 25 June 1913, left London/Plymouth 12 June 1913 ship Corinthian.
John Helman 30 labourer  passenger list
Sarah C 32 housewife
*Joseph H 8
The son*Joseph Henry Hobbs Helman went back to Gillingham Kent 1928 arriving back in New York 8 September 1928 visa # 2161 age 22 he was headed for Waterford Michigan. He married in Michigan 25 January 1931 to Dorothy Jacober father August Jacober, He gave his parents as John Helman and Sarah Hobbs.
Edward your relative born 1883 married Gertrude Thomas 13 February 1915 at Southsea. His WWI record is on ancestry and verifies the information you already know, except he got his birth date wrong in WWII.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 June 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Brother John Helman who went to Canada, died between arrival 25 June 1913 and 14 June 1916

Sarah Charlotte Helman married Isiah Thomas Davis 14 June 1916 in Pontiac Michigan, her parents James Hobbs and Lucy Overill, his parents John Davis and Elizabeth Snow.

ADDED I omitted that she stated born Kent England, Isiah was born Ontario Canada.