Author Topic: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2  (Read 35952 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2
« Reply #45 on: Monday 10 June 19 13:45 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please tell me if the HMS Victory was a training ship please. Attached is a crew photo taken in 1940. My Father's papers show that he was listed from (Amended) 3rd January -15th February 1940. or He is the man far right on the back row looking rather dopey  ::) ;D ;D
Thanks for your help.
Carol

Added: My Brother has finally let me see the Service Record and the year was actually 1940 and not 1941 he was also there from 6th November 1941 to 27th April 1942

Sorry for the confusing but the dates quoted were from the written notes that I was given.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone I'm completely new to this but I'm looking for any information on Gordon Archdale Jones who was on Victory 1 during World War 2. He was aboard March 1932 and October 1940. Any pics or info gratefully received.  I have just been given his record of all the ships he served during both wars and wish to find out more

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy and welcome to Rootschat...you are more than welcome. That's what Family History is all about...sharing  ;D
Carol

Hi do you have any photo or information of Gordon archdale Jones who was on Victory march 1932 and October 1940?  I've just found out info on my paternal grandfather and his navy records lists the ships he was on including victory.  If there exists a photo of him I would be thrilled to see it

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 10:19 BST (UK) »
During WW2, HMS Victory wasn't a ship, but a shore establishment - aka a Stone Frigate.

Due to RN Regulations, all shore bases are given an HMS designation ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy and welcome to Rootschat...you are more than welcome. That's what Family History is all about...sharing  ;D
Carol

Hi do you have any photo or information of Gordon archdale Jones who was on Victory march 1932 and October 1940?  I've just found out info on my paternal grandfather and his navy records lists the ships he was on including victory.  If there exists a photo of him I would be thrilled to see it

Hi Vixen and welcome to Rootschat, Sorry for the late reply but I have been away. None of the people in the photos I have are named unfortunately.

You might be interested in this site:

https://wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/ships/ship.php?pid=2585

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline gillianhussain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 28 September 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
My father's service record has Victory listed as his second last posting, from April to June 1946. Am I right in assuming that this was a shore establishment, not a ship? If so, where was it located? He had come from a shore establishment (St Angelo) in Malta. Thanks

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 28 September 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian and welcome to Rootschat, Yes, it was a training ship at the time, the photos that I posted were taken at the one in Portsmouth, I think there were other bases too.
Carol

Offline Ellie Rose Shaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 31 July 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol I’m wondering if an image I have of my great grandfather is in any of pictures or you could check your images for me? Many thanks
Ellie

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 13 December 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I've just come across this thread while looking for some info and wondered if anyone on here might be able to help.

I'm A Commonwealth War Graves Commision (CWGC) Eyes On Hands On Volunteer. One of the graves I am tasked to look after is that of an Able Seaman John Beresford Wileman who died at HMS Victory on 22/06/1947.

I have found from another site that he died from some sort of illness but wondered if anyone had more information or even a photograph as there seem to be quite a few photographs on the thread.

Thanks in Advance
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote