Author Topic: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2  (Read 35903 times)

Offline simonemareee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I think one of these soldiers may be my grandfather, his records indicate he was on the HMAS Victory in 1941, and bears a striking resemblance to one of the men in this picture.
I was wondering if you had a list of names?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simone and welcome to Rootschat...sorry I don't have a list of names...which one do you think is your Grandfather?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I do have other photos of the crew taken at the same time and he may be on one them too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline simonemareee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I think he might be the gentleman in the back row without the white on his collar, but again I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you for your help Carol, I really appreciate it.

Simone

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Okay...I will have a look to see if he is on any of the other photos and get back to you later today as I am away from my computer at the moment.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Here is another with the same man.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
and the other one. Hope they are of your Grandfather...show them to relatives and if you think they are of him I can arrange to let you have bigger files which will help with identification.
Carol

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a picture of my father returning from Australia on HMS Victory but not sure when this was.

It would be later than 27/Sept/1944. HMS NABBERLEY at Ludham/Bankstown near Sydney NSW was not formed until then. Perhaps a Google search using the correct spelling would shed more light.
 I would agree that the vessel in the photograph was likely a US built Victory ship but which one? A lot of these vessel were built post war. For a list of British Merchant vessels with names ending with the word Victory try a search here.
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha

Some can be discounted as being too small or built in the late 1940's. If you can narrow them down to possibles then you can get hold of the ships movement card (movements up until 1946) available online from The National Archive. Series BT389.
If these cards do not have the information you are looking for the the ships logbook also available from TNA will have details of the ships movements.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 January 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simone...did you not get a notification for these posts?
Carol