Author Topic: Adelaide Hills sandstone quarry near Aldgate/Mylor  (Read 380 times)

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adelaide Hills sandstone quarry near Aldgate/Mylor
« on: Friday 30 June 17 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It's a long shot but thought I'd ask on here......I'm trying to track down the location of a quarry between Aldgate and Mylor off of Strathalbyn Rd that was operational in the 1950's that delivered sandstone for house building in the local area.  I know there was a quarry in Aldgate township itself (closer to Stirling) but I'm not convinced this is the quarry I'm after.  I have had a look online without much success in finding any reference.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mel 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace Jardine - Morrison
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Hills sandstone quarry near Aldgate/Mylor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
An article about the quarries, 2nd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208556448

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Hills sandstone quarry near Aldgate/Mylor
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 17 08:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting.  I'm not sure this is the one I'm after (although it could be possible that the person who told me got the location mixed up.... after all the mines would be only a few of kms apart from one another!)  The white coloured sandstone certainly is a match.