Author Topic: RootsMagic and Ancestry  (Read 4936 times)

Offline RevHead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RootsMagic and Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 April 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the input ggrocott. What are the problems ancestry.com are having at the moment?

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 April 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
Site keeps crashing, people cannot get in, searches are not very good, hints are their usual awful self, (when was the last time someone managed to get married/baptised/buried before they had even been born) ........................................

The list is endless. 

I keep a tree on my computer so that I can work on it without going on to any of the commercial sites.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 April 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Site keeps crashing, people cannot get in, searches are not very good, hints are their usual awful self, (when was the last time someone managed to get married/baptised/buried before they had even been born) ........................................

The list is endless. 

I keep a tree on my computer so that I can work on it without going on to any of the commercial sites.

That's simply not my experience of Ancestry! ;D
I have never had it crash.
Searches, generally, are only as good as the input. Narrow your search range by country, place, dates, etc.
Hints can be ignored!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 April 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
KGarrad
« on: Today at 22:00 »
Insert Quote

I said 'at the moment'.  It has only been the case since Easter.  You have been very lucky, or not using it if you haven't found yourself staring at the gold panner, directed to ancestry.com, told you need to pay when you are already paid up or just locked out over the last few weeks,  and it doesn't matter how much you narrow the search at the moment, the results are awful.  The results frequently don't even bare any relation to what you have input.

Yes, I ignore practically all the hints, but how they manage to come up with them is a bit of a puzzle.

Its a shame because Ancestry used to be very good.  At the moment it isn't.  Hopefully they will get it sorted out eventually because I have paid for another 6 months and at the moment it verges on unusable.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 April 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
I am on Ancestry almost every day, I have no trouble, touch wood this dose not jinx it ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
I am on Ancestry almost every day, I have no trouble, touch wood this dose not jinx it ;D

Me too 😀 i get some odd hints but they are generally because i don’t have the country included in my ancestors details.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 April 18 22:49 BST (UK) »

Me as well, I use it everyday and so far haven't had any problems. It can't be the fact that I use a Mac as KG hasn't had problems!  :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 April 18 23:03 BST (UK) »

Me as well, I use it everyday and so far haven't had any problems. It can't be the fact that I use a Mac as KG hasn't had problems!  :D

I'm in the 'it's terrible' camp, unfortunately, and I also use it every day.   I've had instances where I know the exact name, baptism date, church & parents names and it still doesn't appear in the results, but leaving out the forename and father's name will somehow return the record.  I'll also specify (say) Yorkshire, but the first page or two of results will be for a completely different county, and the top one is frequently for a completely different name!

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 April 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
I too have had recent problems in the last month or so. Searches not coming up with something I know is there, and want to refer back to, record sets not appearing in the card catalogue (I have to google search them),search parameters not coming up with the correct responses (yet when I make it a more general search I find the records I want), and the card catalogue sometimes not having anything past the first page. I feel there are some gremlins in their software.
As an example, look for the Dorset wills in the card catalogue. I have to look for it via Google lately.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.