Author Topic: David Dickson , born whitby yks uk 1785  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Dickson , born whitby yks uk 1785
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 July 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
There is also an interesting court case that confirms the various parties.  It's in a couple of papers but a summary from the Yorkshire Gazette 22 July 1848:

William & George Dickson were brothers & were both resident in York.  Their father, William Dickson, had owned five cottages. On 17 May 1823 he executed two deeds conveying the cottages to his two sons and three daughters and a trust deed securing the rents to his wife for her lifetime, should she survive him. The mother died in 1828 and the cottages transferred to the children.  In 1847 William Dickson wanted to sell his cottage to George Pearson but a Mr Anderson, a lawyer, refused to release the deeds claiming William Jr owed him £71 10s, a large part of which was actually a debt of William Sr.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 July 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
These are the children to William Dickson/Dixon & Susannah Rymer.
Births: Wheldrake.
Bp. 16/11/1775 William Dixon.
7/2/1778 Elizabeth Dixon.
27/10/1779 Mary Dickson. (still alive in 1851. Living next door to Mary Dickson & Geo. Pearson)
18/6/1781 Ann Dickson. (witness on 1807 marriage)
6/11/1782 George Dixon. (ditto)
28/7/1785 Hannah Dixon.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 July 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
I haven't found the other deeds, but the newspaper stated that George had sold his cottage in 1831 to a Mrs Hessy.

Other documents regarding this transaction say that George was a butcher and was married to Mary [Rickall].  There is also a description of where George's cottage was situated, although mainly by reference to other properties.

I'm leaving this one now until the OP returns.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 July 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Mrs Hessy.
Should read Hessay.Mary Dickson married Wm. Hessay 1803 Wheldrake.
She's the one living next door to Mary Dickson & Geo. Pearson in 1851.
Jigsaw fits nicely.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 July 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
We really ALL need to hear from O P, don't we?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 July 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Don't know who I'm replying to but I thank you all for so much information I don't know quite how to handle it all but I'm so amazed at what you have found . I had no idea that Mary and William had so many more children than just David, this may solve the problem of why my father had so many cousins buried in Heslington Church yard . I found in the 1841 census a family of Dickson's and then the referrals to Langwith Farm connected as I have the record of William living there as a sawyer so maybe one of his other children moved there . I have a copy of William Mary's marriage in Whitby 6-8-1815 and of David's baptism 8-2-1822 . By the way I used to visit the tinner's shop David started with my father but I'm still don't know how to find William's parent's. Thank you all Tiptop 

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 July 17 03:20 BST (UK) »
I'm still don't know how to find William's parent's.

The information on William's parents has been provided by Annette and then summarised by Jim:

As has been found in the census - William Dickson is shown to be born ca.1776/77 at Langwith, Yorkshire (not 1785 Whitby).   (He died in York in 1861).

At that time Langwith came under the parish records for Wheldrake, Yorkshire - there is only one possibility:

William Dixon bp.16/11/1775 Wheldrake, son of William (no mothers shown on the page).

Both William Dickson and Mary Pearson were widowed when they married in 1815.   She was Mary Day who'd married a George Pearson 24/1/1801 Whitby.

No idea who William's first wife was or if they were any children from this marriage.

William senior appears to have married a Susannah Rymer 13/12/1774 Wheldrake with William junior baptised the following year.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 July 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Only 1 farm in Langwith.
Still there today next to the WW2 airfield.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hello all, thank all of you for breaking down that "brickwall" for me , it's a lot to take in  . I see lots of times that David Dickson was born in 1785 , no he was born in 1822 his father William was born 1785 . Thrilled to go back another generation , can I have the cheek to ask any of you to keep digging , I'm pretty useless at it here in Australia . Many many thanks  Tiptop