Author Topic: Karl Frederick Schmeider  (Read 401 times)

Offline Leisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Karl Frederick Schmeider
« on: Sunday 02 July 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
I'm back into it again, although I never really stopped and am trying to find a birth record for dad's grandfather.  His name was Karl or Carl Frederick Schmeider son of Fredolin and Elizabetha, who arrived on the Fanny Kirchner ship from Germany in 1885.  After research, I have found that there aren't any full ship records.  From trove, I found an article that shows when the Fanny Kirchner arrived in Port Jackson.  Apparently, Carl was born on the ship and this is evident in the article saying 1 birth was on board.  Stories passed down are that my great granddad never had a birth certificate.  I have searched the NSW BDM using a soundex and wildcard check and haven't been successful.  Is there anywhere else I could look?  I would love to know where the family stayed when they arrived in NSW and how they ended up in Qld?  I have seen on the state archives NSW the shipping master sometimes kept records of the passengers on incoming ships, however I am unable to access them from where I live.  My dad is now 84 and in ill health and he just loves it when I find out new history for him on his family.  Thank you again everyone.  I really appreciate everyone's involvement in helping me out.  Leisa xx

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Karl Frederick Schmeider
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 17 03:31 BST (UK) »
Leisa,  Might this thread be better on the Australia board? A moderator can move it for you if you wish - just click on the blue "report tho moderator" in the bottom right corner of the text box to request this.

I vaguely remember reading that births on a ship were registered at the nearest port, but I'm not sure if this is correct, or if it depended on dates. Someone on the Austalia board will probably know.

It is likely that there are no records related to where the family stayed in NSW, nor how they travelled to QLD.  Sometimes ship's records give information about sponsorship or if the person travelled to Australia to fill a need for specific jobs, so you may be able to make an educated guess as to where they were employed. What was Fredolin's occupation?

Can you provide some dates? Eg date of arrival in NSW and when they appeared in QLD? Whereabouts in QLD did they settle?

Unless people were prominent or in trouble with the law and were mentioned in newspapers, then all most of us have to go on to follow the movement of our ancestors is where the births of their children were recorded. Depending on dates, you may find them on electoral rolls.

Others on the Australia board I'm sure will be able to help you properly.

Offline Leisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Karl Frederick Schmeider
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I just asked if it could be moved to the Australian board.  Thank you again for your help.  I didn't know that there was one.  Leisa  :)