Author Topic: Jarman, Leicester 1871 census  (Read 1213 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jarman, Leicester 1871 census
« on: Sunday 02 July 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to tidy up my large family tree before passing onto next generation. One or two brick walls were never broken down, so I'm having a last try to see if more info has become available since my first searches.
One niggling mystery concerns my great-grandmother Maria Jarman born in Leicester in September 1867 - the illegitimate daughter of Maria Jarman Senior who was born 1849 in Leicester. Maria Senior married Henry Crampton in 1873 and her daughter adopted the Crampton surname (married as Maria Jarman Crampton).
The mystery concerns the 1871 census, which (according to my earlier research) shows Maria Jarman Senior living with her parents in ChurchGate Leicester (definitely the family home). Now, my g-grandmother, Maria Junior, would have been 3 or 4 years old and presumably living with her mother, but she is not shown at all on the (almost illegible) census return. It's a long shot, but rootschatters have solved seemingly impossible mysteries for me in the past, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be very grateful for any help or suggestions. Thank you
Lesley

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jarman, Leicester 1871 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
In 1871 a Maria Jarman aged 4 is a boarder at 20 Devonshire Street, St Margaret with Ann Jarman 40 & Mary Ann 9.  Head of Household is Edward Laughton Langton & his wife Mary Ann.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
I was just going to post the same Jomot. I have checked and only one Maria shows in birth indexes.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Wish Maria Sr had been as easy to find... I see what the OP means by being almost illegible!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all - you've reminded me, when I first did this research (in the days when information was less accessible) I did find that one Maria, but at the time I couldn't fit her or the adult she was with onto the existing tree - and over time I lost the bit of paper with the info on. I'm grateful for the reminder and will see if I can now make some sense of the findings. Thanks again for your help.
Lesley

Offline martynback

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 19 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just come across your thread about the Cramptons in Leicester.

I am Charles Crampton's great-great-nephew. His brother's daughter, Elsie, was my maternal grandmother. She married Russell Back, whose family was originally from Leicester but who was born in Philadelphia, USA.

Russell and Elsie had a son, their only child: my father, Anthony Back.

When my parents married, they received a linen basket made by Charles Crampton as a wedding present.

I would love to communicate with you as my Dad, who is now in his 80s, would be thrilled to know more about his family.