Author Topic: name Curlie or Curly  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Woolry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: name Curly
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 July 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies;

The signatures are signed on "behalf of" as (probably couldn't write) and the witnesses are one of Sophies relatives and the other is a completely different name.

They did name one of their sons Luke but that is probably quite common?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: name Curlie or Curly
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 July 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
As they could not read or write is it possible a mistake was made on the marriage certificate.

What address did he give on the certificate because Luke and Harriett Kerley/Kerly  always lived on Southampton Street.

1891 census Joseph is a widower 44 his age is off s/b 49-51  with 2 daughters Alice 20 and Ruth 18 still living with him they are lodging with a Mary Clack age 41 on Southampton Street. Then go back to 1851 on Southampton Street 3 doors up is the Clack family Mary being the youngest.

Just in case using the new GRO Index, the last 4 children of Luke and Harriett nee Bellinger, Mark, Elias, Arthur and Luke were all registered as Kerly, mmn Bellinger except Mark when it is spelled Ballinger.

Offline Woolry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 July 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that but I do think Curley with a C is most likely as the Children are Curley

They lived at Grove Street Wantage and Stirling Lane

My grandmother's mother was Rosa, later know as Rose Curley. She had sister and brother but some died young. Ruth and Alice survived and Joseph lived with them when re was old. But its his father that I cant find. John Curley? I am wondering if it was John Curley who came from Ireland?
Must have been early 1800's?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 July 17 07:23 BST (UK) »
All the children of Luke and Harriett Kerly of Southampton Street by the time 1871 the name was spelled Curley/Curly on census and marriage records.

Please remember they could not read or write, their name would be spelled however the person taking down the details thought was the correct way to spell it.

I know Joseph lived on Grove Street Wantage and Stirling Lane, but if you check 1891 he is back on Southampton Street Faringdon with his daughters Ruth and Alice perhaps on a visit.
His wife Sophia died 1885 age 45 her death being registered at Witney in Oxfordshire, they were living in Alverscott Oxfordshire 1881

Offline Woolry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I am visiting Wantage in a few weeks and I will see if I can find a birth certificate for Joseph that may shed light on his father and name of his mother?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
On every census although he lived in Wantage he states he was born in Farringdon Berkshire.

Offline Woolry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 July 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. Yes I can see that Joseph lived with Ruth and Alice in 1891 and he worked as a Groom but I still cant find his birth certificate or any record of his birth other then it was 1842 in Faringdon Berks? Also that he died in 1901 Faringdon aged 61?

I thought if I could find his parents I could find his father?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 July 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
I would still think that he is the Joseph, son of Luke but it is difficult to prove. His first son is Luke which is often an indicator of kinship and your Joseph maintains his birthplace as Faringdon.

That Joseph is 4 yrs in 1841 so you would not find a birth certificate for him and baptism records seem difficult to find.
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Faringdon,_Berkshire_Genealogy

1851 - he is 15 yrs

then your Joseph is here:

1861 21 yrs born abt 1839 - Kerly
1871 28 yrs abt 1843 Curley
1881 39 yrs abt 1842 Curley
1891 47 yrs abt 1844 Curley
1901 death 62 yrs

I do not have access to newspaper records but Joseph Kerley/Curley is mentioned in two different newspapers regarding an assault and Mary Ann Clack.

The name variations seem to be interchangeable or as people assumed the spelling.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Woolry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 July 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
That is interesting and thank you for finding out all that information but I think Joseph's father is John as he was a witness at his marriage to Sophia? Maybe they are all related?