Author Topic: Griffith Jones  (Read 12463 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Jones
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 16 July 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
Of  course we can`t prove this Edward is another of "our" Jones family, but it would be interesting   :o
The one who died 1774/1779 described himself as old and weak,  and this event was in 1734.  :-\
It doesn`t say what happened to him.
https://www.llgc.org.uk/php_ffeiliau/sf_results.php?co=All&from=1733&off_cat=Any&off_co=Flint&to=1830&off=50&off=0

Edward Jones; Parish: Hope; County: Flint; Status: Blacksmith
2 April 1734
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 17 July 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Wow,
Very very interesting.
I wonder what his punishment was? 'Prays benefit of clergy, to be burned in the hand'
Seems a bit lenient for manslaughter. It say's he was tried twice, is that correct? Could they be tried twice for the same crime in those days.
I've still not found a link lol, but if there is one it would well and truly overshadow any of the other bad ancestors I've uncovered.
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 17 July 17 16:23 BST (UK) »

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Haha, so he might've even got off without getting burnt!!

There's a RIchard Jones baptised 19th August 1771 in Hope his parents are Edward and Margaret. It's a long shot but could it be the young grandson Richard in Edwards will?
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
Well if he was a blacksmith he was probably used to a few burns.  ;)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 04 September 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again :)

I've just found a possible link for Hannah, wife of William Jones 1791
It's a family on ancestry who have a Harriet Tudor Jones (1861 census living with William and Hannah) and (1871 living with Hannah and son Ezra aged 9).
The Harriet I've found has a mother of called Hannah Reese Jones.
Is it possible our Hannah's maiden name was Reese?

Richard

Offline pb6236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just registered with this site and picked up that you were investigating a Jones family who originated in Denbighshire. If I've read it right your ancestor was Griffith Henry Jones who is my 2nd Great Uncle. His sister Sarah being my Great Grandmother born in Monks Coppenhall in 1860. Might be interesting to pool information if you are still investigating this side. I have quite a lot of information especially on the Manchester side.
Regards
Peter

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Yes I'm still researching Griffith Henry Jones.
It seems that we do have a link.
Have you read the whole thread?
I've come up against a brick wall, so I've put it to rest for a while.
I do have information on the family in Manchester.
Griffith was my great great grandfather.
It would be very interesting to pool our information together.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Richard

Offline pb6236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard
Always nice to find someone following the same lines. Its not happened very often to me even over a number of years.

I have printed out your thread and am working my way through it. Certain items are new to me e.g. the birth of Eliza Williams . Not found that before and in truth I know little about that side of the family, I know some other listers have made suggestions which I will follow up re the Williams family. Not sure where to start with mine so will just jump in and let you have some basics from my tree ( forgive me if I am going over old ground)

My Great Grandmother Sarah was born on the 24th June 1860 , the second birth , her brother John arriving earlier the same day. Their address was 27, New Street.  Her siblings, beside John, were William b. 1850, John & Alfred ( twins) b. 1855, Robert b. 1858, Harriett b. 1863 and as you know Griffith Henry b. 1866. Her parents were Griffith Jones and Eliza Williams who married in 1850 at the Wrexham Parish Church.

I believe  that Griffith was baptised on the 6th October 1830 at Hope  , the son of Williams Jones and Hannah. I had a problem with finding their marriage as the only one I could find with similar names and occupations took place at St. Mary's Church, Chester on 30th Jan 1825. Their first child John was baptised on 23rd Oct 1825 at Hope Parish Church. If this is the right marriage and there is a question mark over why Chester , then  Hannah's name would be Davies . I accept that there may be other information out there that I haven't yet tapped into.

In any event in 1861 William and Hannah were living in Cefn y bedd with children Harriet Tudor ( nee Jones ), Hannah 15, Jane 13 & Robert 17.

By 1871 William had died ( can't find the right death) but Hannah was recorded as a Widow living with Harriet and Grandson Ezra Tudor.

I have found what I believe to be her death record in 1879 ( 20th October) at New Inn, Gwersyllt, when Hannah Jones, widow of William Jones ( Blacksmith ) 77 years died of old age. The only sticking point for me being that the informant was Elizabeth Evans ( daughter) - to date I haven't identified her.

Coming more up to date my Great Grandmother Sarah, married John Ratcliffe on 1st March 1879 at Christ Church,Beswick, Manchester. She had nine children - George Alfred (1879-1960), Ellen (1881-1955, John (1884-1890), Griffithe ( my Grandfather) (1887-1963), Thomas b. 1888, Eliza (1894-1954) , John (1898-1960) , Sarah Elizabeth (1898-1973) , and Robert ( 1902- 1975).

Please let me know if any of that helps or if you think I have information about specific areas which may assist you. I suspect I may have a couple of questions of my own once I have digested this log :).

Best regards
Peter