Author Topic: Looking for Eva A. [Chapman] Williams  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Eva A. [Chapman] Williams
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 July 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lisa, that makes sense.  Miami is the county seat of Roberts County which, Google informs me, is an extremely sparsely populated county northeast of Amarillo.  I see that it bills itself as the "most pro-Trump county in America," reason enough to scratch it from my bucket list of vacation plans and, given the latest news coming from the NYT, not much to brag about.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 July 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm still a Canadian citizen, so I can't vote here.  I almost wish I could have done so during the last election.  ;)

You may already know about this resource:
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/index.html
I've tried searching for Chapman and Williams, but so far have not found any newspaper articles about them.  I am going to take a break now, but will resume later tonight.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 July 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reminding me of the Peel's site.  I found it a couple of years ago and then misplaced the link and had forgotten all about it.  The Chapman family in Alberta was large [eleven children] and, as far as I can tell, all of them except Eva stayed in Canada.  I will start running all of their names through Peel's to see if I can find something.  The truth is, my heart always sinks when I discover that someone crossed the border into Canada because it seems like such a black hole for information.  I have a few hints gleaned from online family trees and one or two graves but that's about it for this family of Chapmans.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
You've not found Eva in 1921, correct?  Is there a chance that she was married to someone prior to her marriage to Henry Williams?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
It is possible that she was previously married.  I don't know.

Offline RoaFam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I think I might be able to help you.  I am Eva's great niece.  I live in northern Alberta.  I am the granddaughter of Eva's younger sister Roa.  Benjamin Chapman moved to the Berwyn, Alberta area around 1913.  Susan and the children came in 1916.  Benjamin died in the early 1930s after an accident with a horse.  Susan passed away in 1958 while living with her daughter Ruby in Grande Prairie, Alberta.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 October 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Aha, that makes us distant cousins, then; in fact, third cousins once removed.  Benjamin Henry Chapman's father [Cecil J.] was a younger brother of my great grandmother, Charlotte Elizabeth Chapman.  Our common ancestors were their parents Benjamin Henry Chapman and Mary Esther Pepper.

It's good to hear from a descendant of one of the Canadian branches of the tree which, as I said, are difficult to track.  I look forward to learning more and I can tell you a bit about the Chapmans who stayed in the United States if you're interested in them.

Offline RoaFam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 October 18 05:31 GMT (UK) »
I am excited to have made contact with you.  I must make a correction to my last post.  Susan died in 1953.  I double checked my notes and Benjamin died in 1931.  Their son Walter passed away in 1973.  He was living in Berwyn, Alberta at the time.  My understanding is that part of Berwyn is built on the Chapman homestead. 

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 October 18 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Here's a shot of the B.H. Chapman homestead in Moundville Twsp., Marquette County, Wisconsin, on the north side of the village of Endeavor at about  43°43'44.02"N,  89°28'46.69"W.  That's B.H. sitting on the back stoop.  The photo probably was taken before 1880 because B.H. was seriously crippled in a farming accident in 1880 and got around on crutches thereafter.  I don't see any crutches propped up next to him in the photo.

This would have been B.H.'s second house  -  the first was a log cabin located a bit further south at approximately  43°43'2.38"N,  89°28'8.18"W.  My great grandfather [Hugh Ennis, husband of Charlotte Elizabeth Chapman] later owned that parcel of land and my grandfather wrote about helping to dismantle the original log cabin that was still there in around 1890.