Author Topic: Nottingham Workhouse, 1860ish - 1863  (Read 3046 times)

Offline glennThorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nottingham Workhouse, 1860ish - 1863
« on: Saturday 08 July 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am seeking any information on g-g-g-grandfather Michael Brady who is recorded as a resident of the Nottingham workhouse on the 1861 census.  On this census his place of birth is given as Meath [indexed as Meash] Ireland. 
Michael died in 1863, buried St Barnabus R. C. church 31 December 1863.
On the 1851 census Michael is recorded in Nottingham as a 51 year old with wife Elizabeth & 3 teenage children. 
I have been unable to identify any further information on Michael or his wife Elizabeth.  There is a death of an Elizabeth Brady recorded in Nottingham in 1855 but GRO index shows the age as 0 and this is not her.
Any information would be appreciated, but a main item is his place of birth, which presumably was recorded [the managers had it to provide to the census takers], and I am hoping is more than just the parish of Meath.
Thank you
Glenn
Thorpe, Brady, Brealey, Gadd

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Workhouse, 1860ish - 1863
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to the Nottingham workhouse site  http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Nottingham/
records are available at Nottinghamshire Archives - details of what is available show under 'Records' towards the bottom of the page I have linked

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glennThorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back so quickly Rosie.
I am in Australia and cannot get to the Notts archive myself.
I provided all the information I have as:
 - I have no better idea about when Michael Brady was admitted other than sometime between the 1851 census and the 1861 census.
 - I have no idea whether his wife Elizabeth was admitted, &, if she was, whether she was discharged or whether she died in the workhouse.
 - I have no idea whether Michael was discharged before he died in December 1863.
 - I have no idea what level of detail is included in the admissions & discharges & whether it would include the Irish town as well as county where he was born or lived.
I didn't specify just the admissions/discharges as I am not aware of the format - if he was in for a number of years is the discharge shown with the admission or as a separate entry? etc.  There is also a rather ominous "etc." at the end of the list of records, so I was hoping someone with knowledge would rule out possible entries in the "etc." records.
Thanks
Gelnn

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back so quickly Rosie.
I am in Australia and cannot get to the Notts archive myself.

It may help if you amend your profile to show where you are located. ;D   Hopefully someone who is local to the archive or visiting may be able to help with your questions. 

If Elizabeth had died in the workhouse her death would be registered in the same reg district as Michaels.  I see that the 1861 entry for Michael lists him as widower.  It may be that Michael only entered the workhouse as he was sick.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gleen,

I go to Nottingham Archives most weeks so can have a look at the records for the Workhouse, however  I think the admission records will only say which parish he was admitted from i.e where he was living at the time and not place of birth, and the discharge will be on a different page as the records were done on  daily basis so will be on the day dated for discharge if that makes sense.

Don't know yet if I'm going this week but will look for you when I do but will take time as no index and will have to go though day by day, year by year.

NG

P.S
Micheal was buried at Nottingham General Cemetery on 31 Dec 1863 so I can also look that up if record is in good condition it that will tell us where he lived when he died and will also be able to see who is in same grave and if its a common grave or family grave.
On freebmd there is a death in 1852 for an Elizabeth Brady but not showing up on the GRO site
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline glennThorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
NG
Thank you, is really appreciated. 
I cannot identify the 1852 death, in freebmd there is only a record for Catherine Brady and she does also shows on GRO with an age of 1.
Any information to help "fill out" the family would be appreciated.
Thanks
Glenn

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenn,

No problem.
I've must have read it wrong, senior moment   ;D

NG

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 July 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenn,

I've started to look for your Michael Brady.
I have look up his burial on 31 Dec 1863 at Nottingham General Cemetery, it says he died on 29 Dec 1863 at The Union House (Workhouse) aged 65yrs a Hawker. Grave Number 10,994 Intern Number M471.

Also in same grave is Isabella Brady aged 53 yrs wife of Michael Brady of Mill Stone Lane a Hawker she died 18 Nov 1856 and buried 20 Aug 1856.  Now is this Elizabeth was Elizabeth her real name or was Isabella?

Also in grave was Mary Ann Brady aged 9 months daughter of Elizabeth Brady of Mill Stone Lane a single woman died 20 Aug 1861 buried 23 Aug 1861.

Have started to look at the Workhouse records, there is none for before 1856 but have found that Michael was admitted to workhouse on 24 Dec 1857 says he was of St Mary's parish and destitute  and he discharged himself on 19 April 1858.  Have also looked at the death register for the workhouse but that only say's date of death and his age.
I still have more to look though so will get back to you as soon as I've have done them.

NG

Offline glennThorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 July 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello NG
Thank you. 
Looking for Michael's wife Elizabeth I thought I had checked all the deaths, including the GRO with ages for the 1850s deaths, obviously I hadn't, a senior moment of my own! 
For young Mary I did have the GRO record copied, but the GRO record shows the age as 9 rather than 9 months.  She was christened Mary Slater (living with Joseph Slater on 1861 census) with her mother showing as Elizabeth Allen (she married Martin Allen in 1852), and buried as Mary Ann Brady, with her mother recorded under her maiden name as a single woman!!
Again thanks
Glenn