Author Topic: John Joyce of Beckington, 21 Bath Road, Beckington, Somerset.  (Read 11125 times)

Offline Moffitt77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Joyce of Beckington, 21 Bath Road, Beckington, Somerset.
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
The death notice of James Bailey Joyce appeared in New Zealand newspapers. For this reason I want to build a complete picture of his family, since his could be the family of James Parker JOYCE, born c1834 in Southern England. James Parker Joyce came to NZ c1850.

John Joyce, (1779 - 1865) married Mary Bailey (1780 - 1863) in 1799.
Lived at 21 Bath Road, Beckington, Somerset.

Ten children.
I would like to compete this list and know the surnames of their partners:-
James Bailey Joyce (1802 -1873)
John Wallis Joyce - still in company register 1886, address 21 Bath Road, Beckington, 1868-1886, wife Mary Ann. His grave has age at death - 43 years
Jesse Powell Joyce (1816-1859)
Daniel Bailey Joyce - named in company 1868-1886

I am looking for the other six children, and especially partner names such as Parker!

The last-named could be a grandson, but he is part of a company including John Wallis Joyce:-
Ebenezer Gough, Greenwick
John Edward Francis Frowd, Bristol, dead by 1872
Peter Keevil, North Bradley, Wiltshire
Daniel Bailey Joyce, Beckington

Only the company details for 1868 to 1886 noted. The two middle names could be those of daughters' husbands?

The property at 21 Bath Road was called Clifford Villas, but now the two buildings are called Peacock House and Clifford House, Number 2 being Clifford House. Clifford is a significant name, being that of my father.

I have found a John Joyce born Beckington in 1817, but other researchers consider John Wallis Joyce to have died, aged 43. The company list shows him still a member in 1886, but then, so is Frowd who was dead by 1872.

When John Joyce died, interested parties were asked to contact John Wallis Joyce or Daniel Bailey Joyce. Where was the eldest son James Bailey Joyce?

I would be grateful for any scrap of evidence. This has been a fifty year search. James Parker Joyce is well-recorded in New Zealand, but his origins are obscure apart from mention of Southhampton.

Offline jusnoneed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Joyce of Beckington, 21 Bath Road, Beckington, Somerset.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, have you looked at www.freereg.org.uk
Lots of Joyce records for Beckington on there.
Masters, Parker, A'Court, Cary(ey), Cannon, Oram, Reynolds, Hennessy, Chislett,
Somerset
Muspratt,Pitman - Wiltshire, Dorset
Treasure - Stoke Lane & Sherborne

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
born c1834 in Southern England

James Parker Joyce was born in Southampton in 1824 according to this obit - a typo?:

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WSTAR19030123.2.14
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Do you have this M/C?
1861/2897, Jane Caydzien to James Parker   Joyce
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Moffitt77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have most NewZealand data. The date of his birth varies and the official one is 1834. We look seriously at the possibility of 1824 because of the number of things he achieved and did before coming to NZ. The age given at death fits with 1834. Thank you for searching. He worked for Bruntons in both countries selling their products.

Offline Moffitt77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 July 17 01:39 BST (UK) »
jusnoneed

I will try the link you suggested. Thank you.

There is a mistake in one set of notes which I used for the first message. Greenwich was the address, not Greenwick. All five of the men listed as part of the company, including the three Joyce family members, had links with the Beckington area. One of them, Ebenezer Gough was a developer of a cork and oil floorcovering called Kamptoulicon, later superseded by another similarly named  oilcloth, Kampticon, which was soon to become Linoleum, produced by Walton. Eventually, Nairns Linoleum became prominent. There are many of them in this area as well.

My mother was a Nairn, but her Nairn branch is well-documented in Ayrshire. It is thought that there could be a connection a long time ago.

I am wondering if the Joyce family and the group listed were involved in the floorcovering business as well.

There are a number of strong Joyce families in Southern England, including a very tempting one associated with Shapwick and White Mill. I am obviously getting a bit desperate in this search after fifty years, because I can see family resemblances to both of these families. Without naming him, I showed a photograph of John Joyce (1779-1865) to my sisters, and immediately they stated that he looked like our father. I can't ignore that!   

I have found, last night:-

Parish of North Bradley
Southwick
1832 voters

John Bailey, Occupier Rags Hill farm
Walter Bailey, Freehold house, In the Rank
George Frowd, Freehold farm, Little Common
John Joyce, Freehold farm, In the Rank
Job Keevil, Occupier, Cutteridge
Peter Keevil, Freehold, Organ Pool Farm
Peter Keevil Jnr, Occupier, Kings Farm

I have read a book about the History of Beckington. Very fascinating, especially about their firm rules and government. The witchhunt sidetracked me for some time. Now I am back on track trying to find out if this family has a Parker name associated with it.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 July 17 05:50 BST (UK) »
JESSE Joyce (Bookseller) married Jane PLAISTER 8 Oct 1839 Frome, Father JOHN a Draper (FreeREG)

DANIEL BAILEY Joyce married 8 December 1835, Ashmore, Dorset, to Eliza HALL (Familysearch)

1861 for John Wallis Joyce;
Jno W Joyce   41
Mary Ann Joyce   40
Elonor P Joyce   3
Mary Ann Joyce   1

JOYCE, ELEANOR  PARKHOUSE, Mothers mn   PARKHOUSE *****
GRO Reference: 1858  J Quarter in FROME  Volume 05C  Page 585

Marriage Reg 1851 London, John Wallis JOYCE and Mary Ann PARKHOUSE on same page

Ebenezer Gough was the Husband of ANN VINCENT Gough, Daug of John/Mary
They married 1846.

Trish  :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
JOHN EDWARD FRANCIS Frowd married LYDIA Joyce**, 18 Feb 1836, St George, Beckington
Bachelor/Spinster
John of North Bradley in the County of Wilts Parish
Witnesses; John Joyce/Geo Frowd
Licence with consent of all parties; additional witnesses: Daniel B JOYCE Mary JOYCE Willm YOUNG Maryann JOYCE Anne JOYCE
(FreeREG)

From Census Lydia Frowd is born c 1810 Beckington, still alive 1881
William Probated Kent 1890

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:05 BST (UK) »
1851 Census Peter Keevil, Farmer, born c 1803 North Bradley Wilts is living there. Wife MARY born 1812 Beckington

Marriage Reg 1839 Frome Peter Keevil/Mary JOYCE on same page
Likely 2nd Marriage for him as Son Enoch is born c 1830 and Mother is Herenhappuch (sic)