Author Topic: John Joyce of Beckington, 21 Bath Road, Beckington, Somerset.  (Read 11126 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John Joyce of Beckington, 21 Bath Road, Beckington, Somerset.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
I am from NZ also but living in Sydney Moffitt77,

So I know about NZ Certs.

Is there any info at all on James Marriage or Death Certs?

Have you an Intention to Marry for the 1861 Marriage?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Moffitt77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:10 BST (UK) »
JOHN EDWARD FRANCIS Frowd married LYDIA Joyce**, 18 Feb 1836, St George, Beckington
Bachelor/Spinster
John of North Bradley in the County of Wilts Parish
Witnesses; John Joyce/Geo Frowd
Licence with consent of all parties; additional witnesses: Daniel B JOYCE Mary JOYCE Willm YOUNG Maryann JOYCE Anne JOYCE
(FreeREG)

From Census Lydia Frowd is born c 1810 Beckington, still alive 1881
William Probated Kent 1890

JOHN EDWARD FRANCIS Frowd married LYDIA Joyce**, 18 Feb 1836, St George, Beckington
Bachelor/Spinster
John of North Bradley in the County of Wilts Parish
Witnesses; John Joyce/Geo Frowd
Licence with consent of all parties; additional witnesses: Daniel B JOYCE Mary JOYCE Willm YOUNG Maryann JOYCE Anne JOYCE
(FreeREG)

From Census Lydia Frowd is born c 1810 Beckington, still alive 1881
William Probated Kent 1890

JESSE Joyce (Bookseller) married Jane PLAISTER 8 Oct 1839 Frome, Father JOHN a Draper (FreeREG

Trish  :)

This is great Trish. I spent hours searching for just this information. I got masses of other information, but not this? They seemed so family-minded that I thought that these men could be sons/brothers-in-law. You are wonderful, thank you. Some of the females present are probably sisters as well?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
Your welcome.

Re this;

Anne Joyce is likely Ann Vincent Joyce the one who married Ebenezer Gough and Mary the one who married Peter Keevil.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
I also think this is Johns Baptism;
JOHN Joyce Baptised 1 Nov 1778, St George, Beckington to JAMES/JANE

Marriage;
27 Aug 1769, St George, Beckington
James JOYCE, Clothworker, to Jane VINCENT Spinster

James Joyce was a Witness to the 1799 Marriage of John and Mary Bailey

Also 1861 Census Jemima Keevil age 11, Grandchild, is with John/Mary

Offline Moffitt77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
I am from NZ also but living in Sydney Moffitt77,

So I know about NZ Certs.

Is there any info at all on James Marriage or Death Certs?

Have you an Intention to Marry for the 1861 Marriage?

Hi, to a fellow Kiwi.

Yes, we have them, but very little is known about JPJ's origins. The certificates add nothing to help us. Another descent line found a possibility for his origin as the son of a sailor because of a James Joyce born on the same day as he was. It looked promising for a while but fizzled out.

I hope that I am not messing up this thread. I am still unsure about which buttons to press and when. Sorry, if I have.

Offline Moffitt77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 July 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder where James Bailey Joyce fits in all of this? He was the eldest son, and was born 1802. He is listed in the same Gazette as the company I have listed, but he appeared as a separate listing to the group between 1868 and 1874. As we know he died in 1873. He was from Beckington throughout?

I may have mentioned that JPJ could have been a child of one of the Joyce Girls. It was the practice to place the father's name as a middle name so that the girl's name could simply be dropped if the couple married later.

Even so, James Bailey Joyce is my prime contender for closest relationship to James Parker Joyce, because it was so important that his death notice should appear in the New Zealand paper. Is it possible that he too could have married a Parkhouse woman? It could easily be a bit different because of bad spelling???

I think that you have found over half of the ten children of John and Mary Joyce. I wonder where they are all buried? Or went to school. There are so many places to look.

I feel sure that I have already posted some of this but I have probably put it in the wrong place. Sorry again.

JPJ came to NZ about 1850 , very young if he was born 1834, and more likely if he was born 1824. It seems surprising if the newspaper obituary was wrong, because he was an editor of the Southland Times for a very long time. There is an old book containing details about him, but it went missing many years ago, to the displeasure of the editor of the day. So many things were accomplished before he came to NZ that we have always been puzzled. He had experience selling safety fuses in France, he spent time in the Channel Islands, was a tax inspector, and many other things that you saw in the obituary. In NZ he was a seller of the fuses, a stock-drover with Michael Joyce, a gold miner who struck it rich, a hotel owner, a manager of Tuturau Station, editor of two papers, and finally a Member of Parliament, to mention some of his achievements.

I am not sure if the Michael Joyce above is a relative. It seems likely that he was the Captain Michael Joyce who had a ship built and resided at Port Chalmers, Dunedin. They were similarly successful, except that it was Michael's son who became an MP. Perhaps it was their huge recorded gold strike which set them up for life. I have much to prove here, but there are many anecdotal scraps of information adding up to a convincing total. I will check the names of the other members of the gold mining group. They could also have been from the Beckington area?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 July 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
You are doing fine with the way you are posting info.

I cant find any Baptisms for John/Mary's Children so cant confirm them all.

As to James Parker Joyce I am sorry I cant find anything on him that you dont already have.

Sorry I cant be any more help.

Maybe someone else can??

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 July 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Have you checked John Joyce's will (1865)?

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 July 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
John Wallis Joyce - still in company register 1886, address 21 Bath Road, Beckington, 1868-1886, wife Mary Ann. His grave has age at death - 43 years

John Wallace Joyce died in 1881 aged 62 per the GRO death index. Confirmed by this memorial transcription:  http://www.gomezsmart.myzen.co.uk/places/beckington/Beckington%20Chapel%20Burial%20Ground.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk