Author Topic: Missing location  (Read 2342 times)

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Missing location
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 July 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maggie
                       That info changes things, it looks like this is the wrong one. the Richard I am looking for was born circa 1760 which would make him a very old man in 1926 when he married
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
They must have been related, to actually trace them back would take a while to do.
I will see if I can connect them before the summer holidays start.
Maggsie

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks arthurk, the writing on the will is fairly clear (see extract) that is not to say Greenhow Hill is not a possibility. William whose will it is, is described as a Gentleman, I have been unable to find his occupation if in fact he had one. I would imagine that the family he had in York's moved up there.

As you say, the writing is clear, and the fact that Greenhill occurs twice may suggest that it's not a mistake.

Anyway, given that he's described as a gentleman, I suspect that they'd be almost as rare in Greenhow Hill as lead miners in Bermondsey. (I know it was his brother and sister in Greenhill, but the fact that they were both there might mean it's where the family came from.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks arthurk
                       The only other info I have on his family is, Parents were Benjamin Hannam  and Ann Pidle married 11th Oct 1743 London Middlesex (Clandestine). They had about 8 children born between 1747 and 1802 including either 2 or 3 Williams
Collins in Staffordshire

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks arthurk
                       The only other info I have on his family is, Parents were Benjamin Hannam  and Ann Pidle married 11th Oct 1743 London Middlesex (Clandestine). They had about 8 children born between 1747 and 1802 including either 2 or 3 Williams

Still puzzling with this, but in the meantime, even if Benjamin was fathering children until 1802, they couldn't all have been with the same wife.

As others have pointed out, there are Hannams in the Retford/Mattersey area, but that's Nottinghamshire (although it was then in the Diocese of York). I'm not convinced by Greenhill on the edge of Sheffield, as that was in Derbyshire until 1934 (according to Wikipedia).

I haven't had any success in finding Richard, other than a possible probate for one in Retford in 1838 (burial transcript has him as Esqr). But I wonder - did William's father leave a will, and could that have any clues about the mystery place?

Incidentally, in William's will I notice that his brother has the surname spelt HANNAN. There's also a good friend William Hannam whom he makes executor.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
I had not noticed the spread of dates for Benjamin, I agree can't all be one and the same wife.
All the Richard Hannam's around Retford belong to my main tree and their families are all accounted for.
I agree with you regarding Greenhill, Sheffield it was in Derbyshire until quite recently.
The two Richard Hannams residing in Worksop and surrounding area were both solicitors/attorneys,the elder Richard serving his indenture mainly in Westminster and was also the father of the younger Richard b. 1793, which is where my search began, as you can see William who died in 1823 was also a solicitor, and had offices at Piazza Chambers, Covent Garden around the same time. I was convinced that with the name Hannam and the proximity of the two solicitors there must be a family link somewhere but so far I have been unable to find it.
There are many different spellings of the name Hannam this is probably just one of them.
Collins in Staffordshire