Author Topic: Captain John Williams TUGBOAT James Conley PORTHMADOG and his Parents 1800's  (Read 3651 times)

Offline beanie190365

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm putting a plea out for anyboy who has any images of either the James Conley Tugboat or my Grt Grt Grandfather J Williams from Llanfrothen Meriontheshire born 1823.

I'm also struggling to find his Parents - The only record I have come across is a baptism on 8th Feb 1824 Parents names Peter & Catherine Jones but I am unable to verify the accuracy. Any help would be most appreciated for this and any other records that may show siblings of John.

Fingers crossed for posisitve response......regards Lynn

Offline Med Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Williams TUGBOAT James Conley PORTHMADOG and his Parents 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not much help but this extract was on the following page 

http://tyneareasc.org.uk/2010/10/a-story-of-four-tyne-built-paddle-tugs/

The second steam tug was built 1864 at Willington Quay for T.A Dry & M.P. Martin of Willington Quay, and W.G Dry of Gateshead and named “James Conley”. O.N. 49743. Wood hull paddle tug. One 30nhp side lever engine (cylinder 30″ diameter) 72 gross tons. Dimensions 81.8 x 17.1 x 9.1 ft. In 1866 she was sold to TSavin of Oswestry,(a railway construction contractor) and registered at the Port of Aberystwyth in 1866.

In 1871 she was resold to the Porthmadog Steam Tug Co.Ltd, and re-registered at the Port of Caernarfon, and continued to work for this company until 1884, when she was re-sold to S.Young of North Shields and re-registered at the Port of North Shields. She was sold a further two times, and was broken up in 1890.

Note - Thomas Savin was one of the contractors for the Aberystwyth and Welch coast railway, later Cambrian Railways.

In terms of records, the baptism shows the parents as Jones, but your relative was Williams? does it show an address?

In a lot of cases of Welsh Census returns, you'll find the children often carried their fathers forename as their surname, eg, in my tree, my 3xG Grandfather was Edward Jones. his "correct" name would have been Edward ap John, as his father was John Evans. John Evan's father was Evan Edwards, His father was another Edward Jones and so forth... this often throws trails into confusion...

If you can shed some more light with any addresses or anything, I'll see what i can see as most of my ancestry is from the Llanfrothen area with some living in Porthmadog.....

Offline beanie190365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Williams TUGBOAT James Conley PORTHMADOG and his Parents 1800's
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you - Yes I've seen that - tried to locate the origonal owner too without success.

Offline Med Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
The only image i've found so far is an image of the James Conley's sister Tug, "Wave of life" i've attached a copy in case you havent seen it yet.

If you have any other details for your relatives let me know, most of my ancestry of the time was in Llanfrothen...

Offline beanie190365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks - Just received same pic from Maritime museum.  :)

Will keep you informed on any movement - I have attached my ancestry link

Regards

Lynn
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/105321668/family

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
Lynn,
A warm welcome to Rootschat.
Cannot offer photo but have you checked/tracked the movement of the James Conley on Welshnewspapers online?

http://newspapers.library.wales

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
His obituary appears in the Gwyliedydd, 6 Jun 1883 - but sadly no reference to parents.

Do you have any marriage details? Sight of his marriage cert might (no guarantee) furnish father's name and occupation.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
1861 Census - ref RG09  4327  42  36

Wife Catherine - eldest son John born about 1850?

Offline beanie190365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Yes - thanks . I have followed through all the newspaper stories online - thank you.

Yes his wife was catherine and his eldest son John...thee show on various census records but unfortunately on the older welsh records it doesnt show how many years they have been married.

One would assume just before the 1st child that was born and on this basis I have searched for a marriage document in order to verify the parents details but have been unsuccessful.