Author Topic: Robert Tye Hutchinson Beasley  (Read 3899 times)

Offline PeonyPetal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Tye Hutchinson Beasley
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 March 21 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the welcome to the forum! I will do another post shortly and then hopefully we can exchange a Message.

cheers,
P

Offline PeonyPetal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 March 21 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Tickettyboo - Hello and thank you for the welcome! Appreciate that you ensured my post was seen by Michael. :)
cheers,
PP

---
Hi Peony Petal Welcome to Rootschat :-)

Michael won't be able to contact you by PM until you have made the required number of posts

Just reply to this thread a couple of times ( a hello will do !). I have sent him a PM in case he doesn't get the notification of a new reply so he should be around soon

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 March 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
I've just been rereading this thread in light of Peony Petal's reply, I have now worked out that the photo of the soldier most likely is Robert.

The military pension cards I mentioned have a couple of addresses on and after a little bit more digging I've found that one of the addresses was that of his brother in law so I would say that's pretty conclusive. Still no idea which battalion he served with but I'm sure I'll find out at some point. They also show that he was moved into the Labour Corps following a gun shot wound to the chest so there's definately still a story to find there.

Before the lock down my wife and I popped up to Berwick for the day and have been to visit his old home. It's a beautiful old house which is very close to the city walls and if it was a derelict it certainly isn't now.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
Could this help in your research about Robert
Berwickshire News and Genral Advertiser
01 Feb 1916 page 4 col 6

(an article that seems to be about sending cigarettes and tobacco parcels to soldiers)

Offline PeonyPetal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 23:38 BST (UK) »
Very interesting!

I looked on this site but it doesn't show James Burrell listed @ 48 Ravensdowne in 1916; perhaps it was just incomplete.

http://www.berwickfriends.org.uk/record-office/projects/our-families/ravensdowne/48-ravensdowne/

It does, however, show James (and family) at 30 Ravensdowne in the 1922-23 electoral registry, but he was not in the next one, 1929-1930 (maybe he was elsewhere if he was ill by then).

http://www.berwickfriends.org.uk/record-office/projects/our-families/ravensdowne/30-ravensdowne/

best,
P

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

You have no idea how much that little article helped me, now I know which battalion he was in I can get the war diary and work out so much more of his story.

PeonyPetal, I'll send you a PM later on today.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Oh good, I'd hoped it may help , especially given that the J Burrell is a good candidate to be his brother in law, and the service number, plus the later one from the pension card, are together on a medal card for a Robert Beasley - it all seems to add up.

Though a later entry in the same paper (04 Jul 1916 page 6 col 5) the same J Burrell sending parcels of cigarettes and tobacco to a soldier called R Beasley who was in the convalescent Camp at Wimereux.
If this does pan out to be the right man, I fail to see how smoking was going to help him recover from a gunshot wound to the chest!

How times have changed :-)

Boo

Offline PeonyPetal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
"If this does pan out to be the right man, I fail to see how smoking was going to help him recover from a gunshot wound to the chest!"

Right?! LOL!! 

Thank you so much for the additional info you have provided!
P