Author Topic: Trying to find relative of Isabella Haig Stevenson  (Read 12057 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find relative of Isabella Haig Stevenson
« Reply #36 on: Friday 14 July 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Someone's been busy...RH!

From that info...
"Alexander Barron, b. 17 Mar 1891 Boyndie - no father named" Reply #35
A bit side tracking but relevant as I think this is the same family?...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=105147.msg451425#msg451425

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 15 July 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
A Margaret Stevenson other name Barron died in MacDuff in 1937 age 40.

Just trying to piece things together from the info. here & from Ruth Helen...

This seems to be the same person..
"Margaret (Maggie) Stevenson, b. 5 Nov 1898, Boyndie - father named on the birth registration as John Stevenson, mason, Inverurie" Reply #35

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 15 July 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosinish looking at the death certificate of Margaret Stevenson (dec15/12/1937)only shows the father as -----Stevenson and mother maggie Barron   With informant Geo Grant brother in law

So John Stevenson may be correct

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 15 July 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
Just a clarification my fathers birth certificate reads "the usual residence for Isabella Haig Stevenson is Wesley Cottage, Parish of Gamrie

and that John Duncan was Parish of Banff

My father said something to me last night that he can remember being told that John Duncan came from Gamrie (maybe something maybe not)

Again I can't thank you guys enough for all your help so far, things are looking good for my grandmothers side of the family.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 15 July 17 02:12 BST (UK) »
"So John Stevenson may be correct"

A death cert. only has info. known to the informant i.e. not always accurate.

Ruth Helen has posted the details of the birth...

"Margaret (Maggie) Stevenson, b. 5 Nov 1898, Boyndie - father named on the birth registration as John Stevenson, mason, Inverurie" Reply #35

A birth cert. has accurate info. & for the father's name to be on an illegitimate birth, he must have been present at the Registering of the birth & signed it.

Annie

Read your 'Red Alert'.....

We can now look for the birth of John Duncan as a Parish & County are different things although a Parish can be in that County.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 15 July 17 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Theresa,

Apologies as my comp keeps cutting out...

I used a window of 1905 - 1925 for John Duncan b Banffshire.

I have discluded any with middle names to narrow things down simply because there was no middle name used on your father's birth or even a middle initial.

There are 37 entries although not all begin with the name John but have John in them.

From that list I have narrowed it down to Gamrie & Banff....

DUNCAN JOHN 1909 147/A 84 Banff
DUNCAN JOHN 1909 147/A 47 Banff

This one looks like the last middle name could be Stevenson (interesting) although I don't think it's him but may be related?

DUNCAN JOHN GEORGE STE 1918 155/A1 24 Gamrie

Because there was no marriage it will be difficult to confirm anything in reality.

It could have been that he was working in the area of Gamrie at the time?

The birth states "Isabella Haig Stevenson is Wesley Cottage, Parish of Gamrie and that John Duncan was Parish of Banff"

From that, I don't think he was born Gamrie.

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 15 July 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
The birth states "Isabella Haig Stevenson is Wesley Cottage, Parish of Gamrie and that John Duncan was Parish of Banff"
From that, I don't think he was born Gamrie.
That's a reasonable set of parameters, but in practice I don't think you can deduce anything with certainty.

When John Duncan signed the birth certificate he would have been asked where he was currently residing, so he could have been born in Timbuctoo or (worse) England or USA, and residing at Backhill in the parish of Banff.

All you have to go on with certainty is that his name was John Duncan, that he was a farm servant, that he was old enough to father an illegitimate child in 1938, and that at the time of the child's birth he was residing at Backhill in the parish of Banff. You can deduce that he was a decent sort of man because he owned up to fathering the child, even if he never actually married the mother.

There were 1,399 John Duncans in the 1911 census in Scotland. Even if you eliminate the ones who were too old and the ones who would have been old enough but died, you still have to add on any born between 1911 and say 1920-ish.

It is likely that John Duncan was born in Banffshire or Aberdeenshire, but that on its own is not enough to pinpoint him. The words haystack and needle, not in that order, spring to mind.

Does the handwriting of his signature match the handwriting of the rest of the certificate you have? If it does not, then you are lucky, because the registrar sent the original register to Edinburgh and retained his duplicate register (into which he copied the signature), and what you see is John Duncan's own handwriting.

You could then look at marriages of John Duncans from 1938 onwards, and see if you can find one with a matching signature. I cannot think of any other reliable way of pinning him down with 100% certainty unless you can find a descendant who has some more definite information about him.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 15 July 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Forfarin, what can I say but thank you to you and all the others on this site that have tried to help me find ancestors for my father.

So far with what I and a friend have found your help has consolidated what we have come up with for my fathers mother Isabella Haig Stevenson.

I have been on deceased on line and found that in the same grave at Myrus is:-
Isabella Stevenson dated 28th October 1939
and
Margaret Stevenson dated 17th December 1937

I am unsure of who Isabella Stevenson is?

Hopefully we shall have more information of this side of the family when I received a answer to a letter that I have sent to a cousin of Isabella Haig Stevenson who still lives in the area.

The handwriting on my fathers birth certificate appears to be different but I am only looking at a photocopy, will have to have another look at the original that my father has.

Again thank you for all your help.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 15 July 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
Someone's been busy...RH!

It was raining and I was at a loose end  ;D ;D ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.